Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 11 of 58

Re: McAfee Inc. mfeapfk service failed?

Jump to solution

I quite understand.  Selvan hopefully will have a better answer for you.   Good luck 😉

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 18/01/14 8:15:56 EST AM
selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 12 of 58

Jump to solution

Hi deathstalker,

The problem is that the path to file in registry is mismatched and that correcting it will make McAfee fine.

The mfeapfk is one of McAfee's important file necessary for proper functioning of the Product.

Changing the registry values in my post above will not create any issues until it's not been done the right way. You can do it yourself or seek help from Tech Support.

Regards

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 13 of 58

Jump to solution

Hi no 1 is secure,

Glad that it worked for you. Incorporating it in patch or update will resolve the issue but root cause will be unknown, what if the issue re-occurs.

We are investigating the root cause and will have good news soon.

Regards

no_1_is_secure
Contributor
Message 14 of 58

Jump to solution

Howdy again,

Agreed it's only a temp fix as the root cause has not been identified.

I'll bet something changed either on the MS side or the McAfee side... 

Since this is happening on all four of my systems, I would think it should be reasonably easy to recreate.  Seems like all the support team needs to do is build a new Win 7 system, install McAfee and see what makes it break either by applying MS updates or, if it's broken out the gate once McAfee is installed, then back rev the McAfee installs until it no longer breaks...  I'm sure that McAfee or Intel? should have access to back revs of code.

Thanks again for the help.

Cheers

deathstalker
Former Member
Message 15 of 58

Jump to solution

Thanks, Selvan. I finally tried the workaround and it solved the issue. However, I have some technical questions to ask and I'll be glad if you can enlighten me on them.

1) I noticed that the paths used in the registry contains " \ " instead of the " / " you typed here in this thread. I decided to follow the default and used " \ ". So will this affect anything? Or is " / " and " \ " interchangeable in this case?

2) Aside from changing the registry path, you also asked us to change Start Value from 2 to 3. May I know, in layman terms, what does this do to McAfee or any other related software? I'm curious to know of its function.

3) May I know what is the actual function of mfeapfk.sys? Is it an original Windows file used by McAfee or a McAfee exclusive file that was installed along with McAfee? I ask this as I did not notice anything amiss when this service was not starting. Everything still seemed normal all this while.

I hope I can learn a thing or two from your answers.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 16 of 58

Jump to solution

Hi deathstalker,

Glad that you are Okay.

1) If am not wrong the Default "\" should work and not the one I mentioned. Hope you'll forgive me .

2) The registry values decide the function of that specific key. Assume the key is related to specific function say "Sleep Mode" Default value can be "1" which keeps it ON. when you want it OFF value should be changed to "0". The values other than 1, 0 (2,3,.4 etc) seems to have additional functions that is specific to the Key / Application. ( Try windows Forums for Digging Deeper )

3) The "mfeapfk.sys" is one of the necessary driver file required for Proper functioning of McAfee - It isn't a good idea to post the exact functunality of such file in Public forums since am not authorised to do that. Hope you understand..!

Regards

uwe-dembski
Former Member
Message 17 of 58

Jump to solution

Same problem here in Germany too under windows 8.1 64 bit.

Could you please be so kind to report the correct workaround?

Peacekeeper
Message 18 of 58

Jump to solution

Selvan posted it in post 3 does is help you?

uwe-dembski
Former Member
Message 19 of 58

Jump to solution

Yes, but in post 14. there are hints something is wrong. And post 15 shows the start value could be 0-1-2-3-4. What is the best value? Do I have to use / oder \?

Peacekeeper
Message 20 of 58

Jump to solution

Best to await Selvan to comment Mine are \ and 3 as the settings

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community