Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zufa12k
Former Member
Message 1 of 58

McAfee Inc. mfeapfk service failed?

Jump to solution

McAfee Inc. mfeapfk service failed, does anyone know where I can download a new driver?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 11 of 58

Re: McAfee Inc. mfeapfk service failed?

Jump to solution

I quite understand.  Selvan hopefully will have a better answer for you.   Good luck 😉

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 18/01/14 8:15:56 EST AM

View solution in original post

57 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 58

Jump to solution

It's not necessarily the driver but rather a service that is slow or failing to start.   Can you please advise what operating system and service pack you are using and , even if you don't use it at all, what version of Internet Explorer is installed?

(The McAfee interface relies on IE being up to date and at default settings regadless of your default browser choices).

Try running the Virtual Technician to see if it fixes anything.   http://mvt.mcafee.com/

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 58

Jump to solution

You may benefit by going to http://mvt.mcafee.com  and Downloading the McAfee Virtual Technician Tool.

Save it to your Desktop, and close all other applications and open and install. It will diagnose and attempt to

repair any issues you may have.

Please record the Session Id #, in case you find the need to have to contact Technical Support, which can be found at the top of the page, under "Useful Links"

I might add, on some occasions, it may need to be ran more than once.

Good Luck,

CatDaddy

Sorry Ex_Brit...I was unaware that you were replying..

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 1/17/14 11:50:10 AM CST
Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 4 of 58

Jump to solution

Hi All,

Try the below steps and post back the Outcome..!

Disable Access protection. (Open McAfee UI > Navigation > General Settings and Alerts >Access Protection > Uncheck and click Apply)

Open regedit using Run dialog..!

Click File > Export > Type a Name >Save it to your Desired location.  (Use this file to Restore back the Settings in case anything Goes wrong.)

1. Navigate to HKeyLocalMachine/SYSTEM/Current control set/Services/mfeapfk
  2. Check if ImagePath is "system32/drivers/mfeapfk.sys"
  3. Change Start value from 2 to 3.
  4. Enable Access protection
  5. Restart computer

on 7/4/14 1:37:23 AM IST
deathstalker
Former Member
Message 5 of 58

Jump to solution

Hmm...I seem to have this problem also. McAfee is still running fine but I noticed this new error since 17 January 2014 in my Event Viewer, which also coincided with the McAfee Security Center update on 17 Jan too.

Error message as follow:

The McAfee Inc. mfeapfk service failed to start due to the following error:

The specified service does not exist.

-System

-Provider

[ Name] Service Control Manager

[ Guid] {555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}

[ EventSourceName] Service Control Manager

-EventID7000

[ Qualifiers] 49152

Version0

Level2

Task0

Opcode0

Keywords0x8080000000000000

-TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2014-01-17T17:21:27.766033900Z

EventRecordID126859

Correlation

-Execution

[ ProcessID] 616

[ ThreadID] 620

ChannelSystem

Computer******

Security
-EventData

param1McAfee Inc. mfeapfk

param2%%1243

It only happened when I start the PC. To date, this error has appeared everytime I start my computer. The only abnormality is that Windows is booting up slower than usual. Other than that, it seems fine to me still. I presume it is caused by the recent update?

I'm using Windows 7 SP1 with latest updates and latest IE. I've also checked under Windows/System32/Drivers and this particular system file is there. I haven't tried modifying the registry as I'm not comfortable with messing around with it. So I rather wait for a patch to fix this. I hope Selvan can confirm if it's indeed caused by a broken patch.

Thanks!

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 6 of 58

Jump to solution

Hi deathstalker,

You might even call Tech Support so that they can do it for you at ease..! We need to check if the above mentioned workaround is Successful before incorporating it as a patch / fix which is a fairly long process..!

no_1_is_secure
Contributor
Message 7 of 58

Jump to solution

Chinthanai, Your procedure for changing the registry values worked.

I have (3) Win 7 Home 64-bit systems that are experiencing the issue.  I'm not sure how long the Event 7000 issue has been occuring as I didn't take the time to dig through the logs on all of my PCs to see when it first occured.

However, I built a new system for my wife over the last couple of weeks and noticed on 1/3/14 that the error was popping up after I installed McAfee TP 2013 via direct download from the McAfee Internet site.  It occurs every time I boot the system.  It was a brand new install of Win 7, then SP1, and all updates since.

Please let the dev team know we have an issue so they can resolve it.

I bet most people don't even know they have an issue as they probably don't check Event Viewer.  My build pointed it out and then I found it on other PCs as I tried to troubleshoot this issue.

Thanks for the help and the temporary fix.

Cheers

no_1_is_secure
Contributor
Message 8 of 58

Jump to solution

Chinthanai, Just checked my Win 7 Pro laptop.  Same issue, same fix... 

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 58

Jump to solution

If Event Viewer shows things that failed, I wouldn't worry about it unless the software itself starts acting up.   The Event Viewer's main job is to report glitches as they happen and for the most part I advise people to ingore it unless there is a noticeable problem then it's useful for Support to know what it says..

Treat it as FYI only.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 18/01/14 6:47:51 EST AM
deathstalker
Former Member
Message 10 of 58

Jump to solution

I always check my Event viewer for symptoms of windows or software errors as this helped me to detect problems early on and also doing troubleshooting. My Windows 7 crashed for no reason last July and I had a very painful experience of reformatting and I'm now very worried whenever I see errors like this reported in Event Viewer.

Anyway, I'd like to ask Selvan, is this error safe to ignore for now? What does this mfeapfk service do anyway? Is it a core and vital McAfee service? If I modify the registry values, will the patch mess up the changes again later on?

Thanks to Ex_Brit for trying to reassure us. But I do hope we can have a more authoritative answer on this at the mo'.

Thanks!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community