cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nikilet
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

McAfee Cleanup tool didn't work

I bought my Dell system in 2006 and it came with McAfee. Unfortunately I just had to perform a Dell Factory Image Restore. The first thing I did was uninstall McAfee. (I later read you should register it before uninstalling.)

I thought everything was fine but I ran Microsoft's FixIt, just out of curiousity. My computer isn't near as fast as it was before the restore, and I don't even have a lot of things installed yet, including Vista SP1 and SP2 and IE 8. FixIt warns me that one of the reasons for my reduced speed, etc., is that I am running two antivirus programs at the same time!

So I go to security center and sure enough it's showing both Avast and McAfee. I used the cleanup tool and it said cleanup FAILED. See screenshot. Is this a registry item?

Someone please help. I'm not even done with the restore I'm working on and sure don't want to have to run into a problem and start all over.

5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

Re: McAfee Cleanup tool didn't work

Reboot and try again as that picture says that it was already running, possibly an accidental double-click or similar reason.

Make sure it is the latest version of MCPR from the link under Useful Links above.

Nikilet
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

I kept searching after posting here and ran across a comment to run the tool in Safe Mode. Why do you suppose that isn't noted somewhere in bold print near where the download for the cleanup tool is? Something like ... If this tool doesn't work boot into Safe Mode and run it.

I did that. I right clicked on the tool and ran it as administrator. As the program ran there was a notation below the scanning box as follows: Error obtaining full permissions for cleanup. Some products may notbe removed. At the end I was advised to restart to remove the files and it also said "Incomplete Cleanup."

As my computer booted back into normal mode I could definitely tell a difference in the speed. I checked the security center and it no longer shows McAfee Virus Scanner. However, apparently I still have leftover scraps of this program. Do you have any ideas on how to get the rest cleaned out?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

Then run it again in regular mode.  That should remove the remnants.

Nikilet
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

Tried that and got the same window as before.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

If you want to avoid a rather complicated registry cleaning method I recommend contacting Technical Support Chat then,  They are linked under Useful Links above.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community