cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rmgillis
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

McAfee AntiVirus Plus Possibly Affecting Internet Explorer- Please Help

My Internet Explorer (IE) has been freezing and then says." a malfunction or malicious add-on has caused IE to close this page. IE has closed this web page to help protect your computer". I went to the Malware community and they determined it is not a virus. They pointed me to the McAfee community because they think McAfee might be the cause. My computer also had a blue screen twice in the last week, but I did not get the message.

8 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: McAfee AntiVirus Plus Possibly Affecting Internet Explorer- Please Help

I have seen a poster to Microsoft Answers (HERE) who had this or a similar problem and who said a McAfee tech support person fixed the problem in a remote-connection session. The poster didn't know what got fixed though.

If this is a malfunctioning McAfee add-on the most likely culprit in IE would probably have to be SiteAdvisor, so first things first : can you run a check of your installed McAfee programs with MVT, to see if there are any problems with the non-SiteAdvisor part; and if that says nothing found amiss, go into Add/Remove Programs (from Control Panel) and find in the list the McAfee entry. SiteAdvisor is, in most products, included under that entry, so click Change/Remove and look for SiteAdvisor, and uninstall it if it's there. You can easily re-install it from here.

If that doesn't work I'll flag this for attention by the tech support people.

tripodzid
Former Member
Message 3 of 9

I also get the similar problem once. What I did is I uninstall and reinstall the IE browser so all of it's addons will be removed. That works for me.

rmgillis
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

I ran the MVT. It stated, "cannot find McAfee product on your system".  I have McAfee Antivirus Plus on my computer. It came with the computer as a package when I purchased it. I did look at the products MVT supports. I did not see McAfee Antivirus Plus listed.

Message was edited by: rmgillis on 2/15/12 11:15:07 AM CST
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 9

It's not uncommon for MVT not to find products when they are supplied by a 3rd party such as your PC maker or ISP as they modify the files sufficiently to fool MVT.

Please try the following.

Go to Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs (if XP), Programs > Uninstall a Program (if Vista or Windows 7)

Uninstall all McAfee products.

Run the MCPR cleanup tool listed under Useful Links at the top of this page, then reboot.

Reinstall your McAfee product(s) from your online account.

Also ensure that Windows is totally up to date especially Internet Explorer, even if you don't normally use it.

rmgillis
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

I reinstalled McAfee. I have IE8. So I should upgrade to 9?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 9

If you have Vista or Windows 7 then yes, upgrade to IE9 a.s.a.p. - simply download it from Microsoft's website.

If you have XP then 8 is as high as you can go.

rmgillis
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

I have completed all of the things you asked me to do. Hopefully this will solve my problem.

I thank you and everyone else who has helped me.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 9

Let's hope so, but if you still have problems please open a case with Technical Support, it's free via phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community