cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
quasar
Contributor
Message 1 of 19

Major Update Frustrations. Uninstalled now won't Reinstall. grr

--So the frustration begins with successfully updating McAfee Plus only to find it disabled protection and would revert to OFF no matter how many times I turned it ON

--went to online support chat and was given a fix file that didn't work so I/they ran some windows updates and uninstalled

all my other virus/spyware software.... except IOBIT, actually.... still didn't work.

-EXTremely frustrated (especially after reading how COMMON this issue has been with previous updates) that I was told by McAfee that

the problem was with my computer and I should contact Microsoft or Dell (who wanted $129 to maybe fix whatever might be wrong) and then I would need to Uninstall and Reinstall McAfee.  yeah.

--So I did everything I could (knowing hardly ANYTHING, i might add) to fix whatever Windows issues i may have.

Ran multiple IOBIT tools to check and repair windows/disk components, clean, defrag, check registry errors, etc etc etc

-- I then Uninstalled.  Now it won't REinstall.  "WE COULD NOT INSTALL ANY OF THE SECURITY FEATURES WITH YOUR SOFTWARE"

So now I have nothing.

I could System Restore myself to an earlier time....perhaps... but when I run the update the same thing will happen.  which has apparently happened to NUMEROUS people on prior updates.  yet I'm told it's on my end??  and i've spent the past two days messing up my computer in various ways trying to fix it?????  GRRRRRRRRRRRR

SOOO..... Does anyone know what issue I apparently have that won't let me reinstall McAfee??  and why it'll probably STILL revert to OFF?.  I've done everything on their pre-install checklist.

Does IOBIT need to be Uninstalled as well for McAfee to install?? 

this may be my final straw with these people.

rant ends.

Anybody with any ideas??  I'm not computer savvy at all.

thanks.

*sadface*

18 Replies
Bins384
Former Member
Message 2 of 19

Re: Major Update Frustrations. Uninstalled now won't Reinstall. grr

May I know your Operating system and how you are trying to reinstall McAfee ( from CD or Download from website )?

quasar
Contributor
Message 3 of 19

hi thanks.  Windows XP Home Edition.  all updates updated.

i've been logging into my account through the McAfee website and trying to download from there.

then just won't complete.

btw... i did run the McAfee uninstall tool after removing the program (after reading a post here with the link) but it still didn't help.

Message was edited by: quasar on 4/18/10 3:00:34 PM CDT
Bins384
Former Member
Message 4 of 19

How do you currently connect to the Internet? (Dial-up, DSL, or Cable)

quasar
Contributor
Message 5 of 19

DSL

Bins384
Former Member
Message 6 of 19

Pls Click on Start>run>Cmd

Type : chkdsk and hit enter.

Let the disk check complete and let me know the results/

quasar
Contributor
Message 7 of 19

I've done that multiple times in addition to running chkdsk/f

to potentially fix whatever it is as well as running a System File Checker in IOBIT (after which no results were displayed

so i assumed no issue was found and/or was fixed).

the box and results from chkdsk just disappear as soon as it completes as well.  I don't know

whether that means there are no problems or if I need to access them a different way.

thanks for the help.

Bins384
Former Member
Message 8 of 19

Please right click on "My computer" > Click on manage computer > Click on Event Viewer > Click on application.

Are you able to find any error messages highlighted with RED

quasar
Contributor
Message 9 of 19

umm.... let's see.....

Under SYSTEM:

--MULTIPLE red errors in "system control manager"

--one says "Dhcp"

--a "warning" on two that say "mfehidk"

--one says "DCOM"

Under APPLICATION:

--errors saying "esent"

--also "windows search service"

--MSiInstaller

--crypt32

hmm.  big sigh.   now what?

again, thanks.

Bins384
Former Member
Message 10 of 19

Double click on MSiInstaller and check the error discription.,

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community