cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JoeUK
Former Member
Message 1 of 12

Major Error on McAfee Installation

Hi all Major Errors on McAfee Installation - on renewal the system is set up and then after a short while an error comes up

and you are asked to Fix to verify subscription for Firewall, Antispam etc.

Click the links and it confrms that the package is valid.

Though the error does not clear and the system says that "your computer is not protected"

Tried to get technical support from the UK at £1 per minute !!!

I called the US as it is cheaper to make a long distance call that pay that rate.

No one seesm to know what is happening is this a major error in the software upgrade?

Anyone else get something similar?

BR Joseph

11 Replies
MaheshCJ
Contributor III
Message 2 of 12

Re: Major Error on McAfee Installation

Hi ,

May i know which operating system you are using ?

When did u last install Mcafee?

Try to run the MCPR tool from the link

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

Restart the computer

Try to install the product from Uk.McAfee.Com

Please revert back if the issue still persists.

Thanks

Mahesh CJ

JoeUK
Former Member
Message 3 of 12

Thanks Mahesh

I have been called by McAfee they recommend for Vista

Step 1 - Uninstall your McAfee consumer products using Add/Remove Programs in the Windows Control Panel Windows 2000/XP

1. Click Start, Settings, Control Panel.
  2. Double-click Add or Remove Programs.
  3. Select the McAfee SecurityCenter product.
  4. Click Remove and follow the steps provided.

Windows Vista

1. Click Start, Search, type Programs and Features, and click Go.
  2. Double-click Programs and Features.
  3. Select the McAfee SecurityCenter product.
  4. Click Uninstall and follow the steps provided.

Step 2 - Download and run MCPR.exe

1. Download the removal tool from: http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe 
  2. Click Save and save the file to a folder on your computer.
  3. Navigate to the folder where the file was saved.
  4. Make sure all McAfee windows are closed.
  5. Double-click MCPR.exe to run the removal tool.

NOTE: Windows Vista users must right-click MCPR.exe and select Run as Administrator.

So it seems the same as yours link.

I am trying to clear the old product now.

It is amazing that after so many years of renewing McAfee that this is happening now.

What are the patches for?

thanks, Joe

JoeUK
Former Member
Message 4 of 12

I have just been working with the team at McAfee and there is a new version of McAfee out now. I had only reinstalled earlier today but the new one has a different

format.

In the installation process I was told it was important to check you internet explorer allows cookies

- as it stops you getting to the latest web page for the installation ( I dont like cookies and websites that use them - too much reliance on these and it is a

possible threat to computers)

Normal online download.

Lets see if the new one works ok.

Thanks for your help.

It shows one thing the internet community works as the UK office did not even put me through to the supervisor when I asked.

Cost today approx

£15 on line technical help

£5 telephone calls to the US

I am not convinced it is cost affective. Lets see if it works

I have to admit in the past McAfee has been a good performing antivirus/ firewall package - so I was suprised when it just kept failing.

was it just me that had these problems?

was it coincidence that the new software was issued today ?

who knows....

Dinz
Former Member
Message 5 of 12

Sorry for the inconvenience caused in installing the programs ,  and we are glad that our issue is resolved.

Do report back if any issues, we would be glad to assist you.

Regards,

Dinesh K

JoeUK
Former Member
Message 6 of 12

Thanks Dinesh,

The new McAfee is working and is a serious upgrade on the older version, good presention and still has the features from the McAfee system that are tried and tested. Good up grade so 8/10 to McAfee for the new work.

Note to all when installing the package, you are requested to clean your memory it deletes all your saved passwords. So be careful and make sure you have made a note before using the program steps detailed above.

Question - why have McAfee choosen for their webpage for technical queries to be so difficult to manage?

It seems that you have to go stepwise through down load the McAfee Technician >>the the Q&As >> and finally the remote access to technical support.

The phone system is complicated.

As I have written before I have used McAfee for years and I a big fan but it seems only when you complain like mad and post things on this Community

page that you get listened too. I suspect there is a lot of reliance on the computer prompted answer and this does not give your experts the room for

flexibility when answering. The US operators are very proactive and seem to have a little bit more freedom to engage customers. So I think that a

few US operators should fly across the UK and give some training.

This Community Website is very useful and there seems to be good help from fellow users as well as McAfee experts who obviously keep an eye on the posts.

So for the Community Website a 10/10 for value.

Happy & Safe Computing everyone 

MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 7 of 12

<snip>

Note to all when installing the package, you are requested to clean your memory it deletes all your saved passwords. So be careful and make sure you have made a note before using the program steps detailed above.

<snip>

Hi, Joe:

I'm in the US and haven't gotten the new version updates yet.

However, when the time comes, I want to be sure I get a clean install.

Can you please clarify your statement above -- do you mean that it will clear the internet history/tracks/PWs/etc from IE?

What do you mean by "making a note"?

(As it were, I clear my tracks whenever I close IE and do not save passwords anyway, so this might be a moot point. But I just want to be sure I don't lose something important during the installation.)

Thanks!

MM

BigJ
Former Member
Message 8 of 12

MoxieMomma wrote:

<snip>

<snip>

Hi, Joe:

I'm in the US and haven't gotten the new version updates yet.

However, when the time comes, I want to be sure I get a clean install.

Can you please clarify your statement above -- do you mean that it will clear the internet history/tracks/PWs/etc from IE?

What do you mean by "making a note"?

(As it were, I clear my tracks whenever I close IE and do not save passwords anyway, so this might be a moot point. But I just want to be sure I don't lose something important during the installation.)

Thanks!

MM

MoxieMomma since you have not heard an answer from other poster I can tell you I have downloaded McAfee Total Protection from my account under United States site with no problems. I have two computers and neither one lost any passwords or anything else. You will like 2010 version.

Jerry

JoeUK
Former Member
Message 9 of 12

Hi All, thanks for the comments Sorry I have not answered but my New McAfee Installation shut down my computer and I lost my files.

It was running correctly, then there was a normal upate and after I shut down - on booting up the computer looked like a new User file

all my programs, documents etc, had been cleared.

My McAfee logo had gone

I had to work to retrieve my files and I did have them backed up.

My computer was wiped, so I took it to the Computer repair shop and they found a message

"McAfee not compatable with Vista"

I have to restore the computer again, ue my back up files to re start again, lost all my IE links as well as passwords.

At the moment I am very unhappy with McAfee - I do not know what it brought my other programs down with it.

Be very careful if you use the new McAfee and let me know if you get the same.

Good luck

JoeUK
Former Member
Message 10 of 12

Hi MM,

First time the instructions they gave me wiped my password memory, so this caught me out.

The the computer failed, I lost my McAfee and the computer reverted to a new user screen, so I lost everything then.

Good luck. Joe

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community