cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cobdens
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

Machine crashes during scan

When I run a full system scan, my Sony Vaio running Windows Vista freezes then crashes when it gets to a Program file "Sony/V......ugins/RestoreCDrive.dll".

Is this a corrupted file? if so, how do I replace it? Or is it malware? If so, how can I eliminate it?

Thanks for your help

Cobdens

5 Replies
user_107544
Contributor III
Message 2 of 6

Re: Machine crashes during scan

Hi Cobdens,

I think this Sony/V......ugins/RestoreCDrive.dll file is a system file on your sony vaio computer. Do you have any other antivirus / antispyware software's installed on your computer  & have you made any changes to your computer in the recent past like restoring or re-formatting ...?

Regards,

Rakesh P

McAfee Technical Support

Cobdens
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

Hi Rakesh.

No, I only have McAfee running. I have contacted Internet chat but I have not made any progress.

I tried looking up the file in Windows Explorer, but when I right click to look at properties, the machine just freezes.

I have had many crashes/freezes with this problem and the only way to get out of the freeze is to turn off the power button, which crashes the machine.

The scan disk has run but found nothing wrong.

Nothing I do helps. Can I remove this file and replace it?

Aldrin
Former Member
Message 4 of 6

Can you get us the complete path of this file please....

Cobdens
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

Hi Rakesh,

The full path to this file is

C:\Programe Files\Sony\Vaio Recovery\plugins\RestoreCDrive.dll

I have tried scanning for viruses but the scanner always crashes the computer when it gets to this file.

I have tried deleting this file but the computer freezes as soon as I right click on it.

I am concerned that the file is infected but I cannot run a virus scan because the scanner crashes my laptop.

Do you have a way of solving this problem?

Regards

Cobdens

Cobdens
Former Member
Message 6 of 6

Hi,

I did not get past the first advice. In Vista, when I click Start: there is no "Run". So I could not go further.

What am I missing?

Thanks for any help you can give. I just need to delete the corrupted plugin file and replace it but the machine freezes everytime I try and delete it.

Is there a clever deletion software that can delete corrupted files without freezing the machine?

Thanks for your help

Cobdens

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community