cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kork
Contributor
Message 1 of 3

MCPR tool download link doesn't work (plays music instead)

I'm trying to help a friend download the MCPR.exe tool to uninstall McAffee Antivirus products.

I headed to this page https://service.mcafee.com/?locale=en-GB&articleId=TS101331&fromSearch=true&page=shell&shell=article...

Step1: I expand "Method2: Remove using the McAffee Consumer Product Removal Tool (MCPR)" 

Screenshot : https://i.imgur.com/is9KERd.png

Step2: I click the red "MCPR tool" link.

Step3:: Now I expect a file download of MCPR.exe to consume. But no file download is started - instead the web page just starts playing an audio file, some random instrumental music. 

Step4: me shouting "what the heck is going on?"

---------

The result was the same for me and both my friend, so 2 unique web browsers.

We're both using Chrome94 on Windows10.

This seems like a horrible bug. What's going on with the music?

I inspected the HTML on the page and the element itself iseems legit -it's an anchor that links to https://download.mcafee.com/molbin/iss-loc/SupportTools/MCPR/MCPR.exe

If I visit that download link directly it dows work, however clicking the "MCPR tool" link just results in music playing.

So must be some javascript that's overriding the anchor link.

really horrible customer experience. We almost thought it was a fraudulent website spoofing mcaffee.com

2 Replies
Kork
Contributor
Message 2 of 3

Re: MCPR tool download link doesn't work (plays music instead)

Very strange - after retrying this with Chrome DevTools open (to inspect that the heck is going on) I could not reproduce the issue. With DevTools open the MCPR.exe file will download as one would expect.

However after retrying it without Chrome DevTools open, I can reproduce the issue time and time again.

PS: Let me know if you guys cannot reproduce the issue - if so I will provide a recording showing what happens on my machine.

AvinashP
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 3 of 3

Re: MCPR tool download link doesn't work (plays music instead)

Hi @Kork,

We understand you concern, we are truly about the situation. We are unable to reproduce the issue from our end, we request you to help us with the screenshot of the issue while downloading MCPR without having the dev tool open.

Thanks,
Avinash.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community