cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cooties
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

LiveSafe Product: I broke updates (more info inside)

Jump to solution

I have two pcs running LiveSafe. Both were originally windows 8.1, and both have been upgraded to windows 10.

I used 'quick clean' feature of LiveSafe software, and let it clean 'registry' on one of my two pcs ( it had been cleaning registry just fine with windows 8.1 ).

Since then when I would goto check for updates it would seem to start for about 1 second and kick me out of updates, and It also would not let me turn on or off automatic updates ( it would allow me to select on or off, but it wouldn't Hold the setting )

The pc that I Did NOT use 'quick clean' ( with registry checked to clean ) would still update and nothing was broken.

The pc that I Did use 'quick clean' ( with registry checked to clean ) would not update and was broken.

Overall I had looked into 'update not working' issues in this forum, and I have // Ran MVT ( stated that I had a broken registry, which it repaired, but it didn't fix the update issue ) // Uninstalled // Ran Mcafee removal tool //

and Reinstalled // Now everything is working again.

Just posting this to let Tech Support know how I broke updates with Mcafee LiveSafe on WIndows 10.

Thanks for listening.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

Re: LiveSafe Product: I broke updates (more info inside)

Jump to solution

I know this may sound surprising coming from a Moderator but I do not trust any registry cleaners, including the "Registry" part of QuickClean.

It was an addition to the software some time ago, originally from another manufacturer I believe, so be very careful using it.

Registry cleaners are pretty-well guaranteed to wreck your machine eventually.

This fault has been reported numerous times to the developers and no-one appears to be listening.

You might want to add a Product Idea to exclude it in future in our suggestion box here: 

I suggest that you completely uninstall the software via Control Panel > Programs and Features.. Reboot if asked to.

Run the MCPR cleanup tool and reboot.

Go to your online account and reinstall the software from there.

If you have any difficultied with Windows 10 I can throroughly recommend these forums: Windows 10 Forums

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

View solution in original post

5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

I know this may sound surprising coming from a Moderator but I do not trust any registry cleaners, including the "Registry" part of QuickClean.

It was an addition to the software some time ago, originally from another manufacturer I believe, so be very careful using it.

Registry cleaners are pretty-well guaranteed to wreck your machine eventually.

This fault has been reported numerous times to the developers and no-one appears to be listening.

You might want to add a Product Idea to exclude it in future in our suggestion box here: 

I suggest that you completely uninstall the software via Control Panel > Programs and Features.. Reboot if asked to.

Run the MCPR cleanup tool and reboot.

Go to your online account and reinstall the software from there.

If you have any difficultied with Windows 10 I can throroughly recommend these forums: Windows 10 Forums

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 6

Jump to solution

P.S. When I refer to a reboot I mean power down and power up and I should mention that Windows 10 has Fast Startup on by default, it prevents the machine form doing anything but a quick hibernate and can cause issues.

There is a tutorial on how to turn it off here:  Windows 10 Forums

cooties
Former Member
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

Thank you so much for all the help you provide Ex_Brit  ( and you too catdaddy )

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 6

Jump to solution

You are welcome 😉

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

You are quite welcome Glad that all is okay Actually Colleague Ex-Brit should get all the credit, as all I did was agree with him in regards to 'Registry Cleaners'. Take care...

All the Best

Catdaddy

McAfee Volunteer Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community