Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
urganda
Former Member
Message 1 of 2

Limiting mcafee memory usage

Hi!

One of my licenses of McAfee Internet Security is running in a laptop which has very old software and hardware. The laptop runs OK when McAfee is de-activated but, for obvious security reasons, I prefer browsing the network with an antivirus installed and running.

The performance issue is specially noticeable when updating the virus definition database or performing a scheduled scan, since McAfee uses all the phisical memory of the computer. I've tried to upgrade computer memory, but it would overheat the laptop.

Is there a way to tell Mcafee to use less memory when scanning or updating?

I found this issue is usual with corporate products, and your knowledge base gives some info about it. But I found no solution for home products.

I found you sell antivirus software for mini-laptops (netbooks) with reduced memory. Are these products compatible with old processors (i.e. not ARM but pentium-class-Intel?

You're going to stop support for McAfee 2008 soon. My old computer can run McAfee 2009, but it won't run McAfee 2010. What the scheduled end-of-life for McAffee 2009?

El mensaje fue editado por: urganda on 2/07/10 18:37:46 CDT
1 Reply
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 2

Re: Limiting mcafee memory usage

Those technical questions regarding memory usage and limiting it would be best directed to online Technical Support Chat - see Useful Links above.

However, I don't think it's possibly, at least with the home product.

2008 products are no longer supported according to this page.

If your machine wont run the 2010 product at all and I assume you've tried perhaps it's best to move as the product auto-upgrades in time.  The process can't be halted.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 03/07/10 6:53:41 EDT AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community