cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BornfromJets
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

Is there an official McAfee Update Concerning their weekend FUBAR?

I have not seen any update as to the status of the problem caused by McAfee over the weekend.  Like is it fixed on "their" end of the chain?

I did a system restore to before the update problems and I am now at DAT 6802.  I turned off automative updates, so if I turn it back on and allow a auto update, will it work and NOT hose my system again?  Does anybody know these answers?

I would appreciate any sort of status update pertaining to this serious breach of customer confidence.

Thank you.

6 Replies
moorlandmagic
Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: Is there an official McAfee Update Concerning their weekend FUBAR?

I got hit with this problem also, but also had one pc turned off - have just turned it on and it has downloaded DAT 6817 - so think you should be OK if you re-enable updating

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 7

BornfromJets wrote:

I have not seen any update as to the status of the problem caused by McAfee over the weekend.  Like is it fixed on "their" end of the chain?

I did a system restore to before the update problems and I am now at DAT 6802.  I turned off automative updates, so if I turn it back on and allow a auto update, will it work and NOT hose my system again?  Does anybody know these answers?

I would appreciate any sort of status update pertaining to this serious breach of customer confidence.

Thank you.

As it was last weekend the Announcement, which appeared within hours of the update being released, has been taken down, but there were popup warnings and many customers have received emails apparently, but the latter I think depends on what software you have and where it's downloaded from.   The support main page carried a large red warning too.

There is a FAQ which was released shortly after things went pear shaped:  http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101446

You should be at DAT 6817 so run Virtual Technician which has been specifically updated to correct the problems from the weekend: http://mvt.mcafee.com/

By the way, the software should auto-update OK now if you want to try that first.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 28/08/12 7:53:47 EDT AM
BornfromJets
Former Member
Message 4 of 7

thanks for reply!  That's what I was hoping for.  I will do that later on my laptop, as it has been turned off way before the weekend incident occured.  So, if that one updates successfully and does display any of the symptoms that others have experienced, I will be alright in doing the same to my desktop.

Thanks moorlandmagic!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 7

OK, good luck 😉

BornfromJets
Former Member
Message 6 of 7

thanks for the replay Ex_Brit.

I have run MVT serveral times and it just tells me that my DAT file is out of date because it is 6807, after I did the system checkpoint restore.

I'm going to attempt a McAfee auto update on my laptop which was never affected and see how that performs.  If all goes well then I'll be more inclined to auto update my desktop.

Does anyone know the web address to access the manual download of new DAT files?  I could not get to it no matter how hard I tried.

Thank again!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 7

Did MVT update before it ran?   That's odd, it should have remedied the situation.

The web address to manually download SDAT files is here:  http://www.mcafee.com/apps/downloads/security-updates/security-updates.aspx

Just run the 6818xdat.exe after using 'Save as' to your desktop and right-clicking it > Properties > Unblock (not always necessary but a wise precaution - depending on your OS)

**Note: this update method does NOT work for MSC v12 and upwards (2012+ products)

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community