cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2harts4ever
Former Member
Message 1 of 27

Is 'spinning' McAfee taskbar icon problem close to being solved??

Howdy,

I have been following the McAfee 'Taskbar Icon spinning problem' for the last several weeks (icon spinning like it is trying to update but nothing happens until I actually click on it).  I am just curious if any progress has been made to solve it.

I have been reading where a fix is out for the Beta programs and in some areas of the world.  However, by the looks of my computer the problem still remains in Central Pennsylvania.

I am using McAfee All Access - Internet Security and have been since I purchased it with my Windstream subscription in January of this year.

My question is who should I contact about this problem -- Windstream or McAfee?  I am just finding it hard to believe that a company the size of McAfee is having such a hard time rolling out a complete fix for all subscribers -- not just a few areas of the world!

I know everyone is saying I am still safe but a small flag of danger pops up in my mind when something like this 'spinning update icon' seems to take so long to solve for everybody.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

26 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 27

Re: Is 'spinning' McAfee taskbar icon problem close to being solved??

Yes, it's slowly filtering through the distribution system.  The last to get it usually are those who obtain the software through 3rd parties, Dell, HP, ACER or your ISP for instance.

Look for a SecurityCenter engine version 14.0.5084 in "About".  Everyone will get it eventually.  For instance, I have it already in my 2 Windows 10 installations and am still waiting for it in my Windows 7 one.

In actual fact it's already been followed by an even higher-numbers engine, not sure what was fixed in that.

There's no need to worry about it, it's simply an annoyance, the software is protecting as it should be.

2harts4ever
Former Member
Message 3 of 27

Re: Re: Is 'spinning' McAfee taskbar icon problem close to being solved??

Hi Ex_Brit,

I appreciate your timely response.

However, this annoying problem does make me wonder how a security company as large as McAfee has such a hard time in supplying a fix for it to 'all' its customers.  Even though McAfee is saying myself and others like me, who haven't received the 'fix' are completely safe, it does make me wonder when I am determining what Security Programs to run on my computer.

Once again I do appreciate your timely response as in past posts of mine.

Have a great day! 

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 27

Those last to get it things I mentioned are beyond McAfee's control, it's those entities that hold up patches.

All fixes are released in phases so that they can be caught in time should they cause any unexpected problems of their own.

Most security software companies follow the same kind of procedures.

2harts4ever
Former Member
Message 5 of 27

Ex_Brit,

Do you think any McAfee sources could tell us if Windstream received the patch and if so, when?

Just curious ....

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 27

They don't give out that information.  But all we know is that all 3rd parties should now have the engine 5084 patch.

We can't force them to pass it straight on unfortunately.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 27

added the words 'should now' in front of have'.

2harts4ever
Former Member
Message 8 of 27

Ex_Brit,

I hope you don't think I was trying to pin you to the wall on this problem because that was not my intention.

I appreciate your information that all 3rd Parties (i.e., Windstream) should now have the patch.  If I get a chance I will try to contact them (Windstream) about it too.  Meanwhile I will keep an eye out for this  5084 patch through McAfee updates.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 27

No problem.   In other words, it'll happen when it happens.

😉

2harts4ever
Former Member
Message 10 of 27

Hi Ex_Brit,

I just got off the phone with WINDSTREAM tech support and they said they never heard of McAfee sending them a patch for any of the McAfee Security Programs in this manner.

If at all possible could someone pass this on to the McAfee techs the next time you talk to them and see what they have to say about this now.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community