Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 11 of 16

Re: Intel® Anti-Theft Service has been discontinued

Jump to solution

I just thought I'd add some possible explanation for what's going on here.

Intel took over McAfee and the software responsibility went over to McAfee with that.

Here's a web page from Intel regarding their Anti-Theft discontinuance:  http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/anti-theft/anti-theft-general-tec...

Prior to their trial period ending you will have to do what Selvan has suggested to prevent the motherboard Anti-Theft Chip from locking the laptop.

He has alerted some people at a higher level and hopefully they will offer a further explanation. 

If this software was provided free of charge so no refund is due as far as I know and Selvan has already explained that I think.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 31/12/13 7:24:44 EST AM
dajoker
Former Member
Message 12 of 16

Jump to solution

Cheers, brit,

Nothing from mcafee, its not a trial product, I paid for a subscription, that if I continue to use it I risk having my rather expensive laptop made completely useless.

I guess the Intel anti theft tech is a complete waste of time then?  No point trying to use it if its being tossed out alltogether. 

I think that mcafee should refund the subscription.  There is no way I would pay for a prouduct that will lock out my laptop and make it unusable, and not offering a replacement like intel says you will "

If you are a user of another company’s product that relies on Intel® Anti-Theft Technology, please contact the company directly to learn more about its plans."

Mcafees plans are to say a big FU, and get lost?  They will probably lock out everyones computer just for fun too......

pathetic

dajoker
Former Member
Message 13 of 16

Jump to solution

Norton have a product: 

https://antitheft.norton.com/

bye mcafee

on 21/01/14 5:54:56 EST AM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 14 of 16

Jump to solution

Nothing from McAfee?  Selvan got in touch in this thread and answered you with the information that your subscription was good for use until it ended at that date he gave.    So why should a refund be due?

Refunds are not the purview of these forums anyway, that's up to Customer Service and I hardly think a refund would be allowed on a product that's almost at the end of it's subscription period.

Good luck with Norton.   I don't think their product is exactly the same thing as the one that relied on the motherboard chip that McAfee (Intel) are discontinuing.

I should add that I'm not surprised that they decided to discontinue the product as it was badly received by the public for the most part.    Seemingly endless problems with it.

But I am surprised that there doesn't seem to be a substitute, except for Mobile products and tablets.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 21/01/14 6:16:45 EST AM
dajoker
Former Member
Message 15 of 16

Jump to solution

well this: "You need to un-enroll the device from AT service before expiry to prevent auto-lock of the system. The service is un-usable post expiry. You may contact McAfee Tech Support for assistance in un-enrolling the device."

basically unless i get rid of the software before it expires or it will lock out my computer for good.

pathetic customer service tbh.

not that I exect much better from norton.

No mention of any replacement, just the loop that intel announce the end of mcafee, mcafee announce the end of intel, and I am left out of the cold.

I have uninstalled it as I didnt want to be caught with a locked computer.  I will let my credit card company work out the rest of this robbery.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 16 of 16

Jump to solution

There is NO substitute (except for tablets and mobile devices).   It is being dicontinued and you can unenrol at the last minute, what's so difficult about that?    I suggest you follow Selvan's advice at the appropriate time or else you'll end up with a brick instead of a device once the software expires on 24 June.  So if I were you, I would set a Calendar reminder to do it on the 23 June at the latest.

Intel never announced "the end of McAfee', that is totally erroneous, what they announced was a rebranding of the name, that's all.    It continues as a wholly-owned company under the Intel umbrella and I would imagine little will change except the name.   They want to remove all associations with the company founder who has been rather controversially featured in the media of late.

As I said, if these forums were anything to go by, MAT was a product that, although in my mind a good one, was not fully understood by a vast majority of its users, who ended up with devices in various stages of uselessness, simply because they didn't do whatever it was they were supposed to do to keep the software from thinking the device had been stolen.

I'm sorry that you are being inconvenienced, but at least you are getting the use of the software until the end of your subscription.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 21/01/14 6:45:27 EST AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community