cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fpc_2022
Former Member
Message 1 of 12

Installing 0% complete

I'm sharing the same frustration with this problem: "Installing updates 0% completed". This problem only started when I renewed my Total Protection subscription in June. It doesn't move off 0% completed. While that is showing, I can't open McAfee Total Protection and can't shut down the computer. When I try to do so, it says don't do that as McAfee is installing updates but hasn't moved off 0% completed for hours. Once I left it overnight and next morning it was still on 0% completed. Clearly it freezes, i.e. the updates download or installation freezes. The only way to shut down the computer is to do a force shut down by turning off the power.

I have been onto McAfee Technical Support, and even had the issue escalated to higher level support. On each occasion (four of five times now) the technician remotely took control of the computer. Total Protection was uninstalled and reinstalled by McAfee with a new serial number. But on each occasion, the problem recurred, so it has never been solved. It frustrating dealing with it and having to constantly contact McAfee about this and have them gain access to my computer which is running Windows XP Pro (no longer supported by Microsoft I know but some of my software won't run on later operating systems).

Without a solution, I began using Chrome some time ago rather than Windows Explorer to see if that made a difference. It didn't. What did work was to turn off Total Protection automatic updates and to check for updates manually every day (or at least every two days). While I had automatic updates turned off, the "Installing Updates 0% Completed" problem never recurred over a number of weeks. And on each occasion, the updates installed without an incident. While that seemed to solve the problem, I don't like having automatic updates turned off. I recently turned on automatic updates once again, and alas, the problem has recurred. While I type, I have the message 0% completed showing now and I will have to force shutdown the computer at the end of the day and go back to turning off automatic updates.

I have asked McAfee for an explanation. The best I got was "a combination of problems" was the cause. That doesn't make sense but I can't understand why this problem can't be solved and until it, is an explanation be provided.

I don't know if anyone has a solution or can encourage McAfee to provide a better explanation. Until this June or so, I never experienced a problem like this of many years of using XP Pro and over 10 years of using McAfee software.

Suggestions anyone? I'd love to hear from McAfee.

Frank

11 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 12

Re: Installing 0% complete

I will ping a tech to comment but while waiting two suggestions.

1. Disable access protection in navigation general settings and alerts and then boot into safe mode try an update there. Assumes an update is ready.

2. boot into normal mode and reset access protection

3. Is IE8 fully updated and have you tried resetting it to defaults?

fpc_2022
Former Member
Message 3 of 12

Thanks for that. I'm not using IE8 as it is no longer supported by Microsoft. I'm now using Chrome and have been since about June. But I have made sure that IE8 on my machine is up to date and I have reset it to defaults. Nevertheless, I still get the "0% completed" problem. I wondered if it might be a Windows XP Pro problem but the fact that I didn't get this problem before June, have used XP Pro for a very long time, and later operating systems are also experiencing the same problem would suggest it is not the operating system, at least not only the operating system.

My workaround is to leave automatic updates turned on but each day when I boot up the computer to manually check for updates first thing. When there are updates available, they seem to download without a problem. It seems that it is only when they appear through the automatic updates mechanism that the process freezes. That is a pain but I can still operate the computer. I just have to do a force shutdown, restart the computer, manually check for updates immediately and download and install them. That workaround seems to avoid the problem.

I can't understand why McAfee can't problem-solve this to identify the problem and come up with a solution, even if it is to update from Windows XP, update the browser or whatever the solution is.

Thanks for your help.

yans112
Former Member
Message 4 of 12

Hi Fpc,

After April 8, 2014, Microsoft will no longer provide security updates or technical support for Windows XP. Security updates patch vulnerabilities that may be exploited by malware and help keep users and their data safer.  PCs running Windows XP after April 8, 2014, should not be considered to be protected, and it is important that you migrate to a current supported operating system

Please find the below path, XP version has been expired, I am not so sure about XP Pro. If possible, Can you please try with/in other OS.

If you are not satisfied with my reply, Please ignore it.

However, thanks for your time.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/enterprise/end-of-support.aspx

Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 12

McAfee is still supporting Xp.Till version 12.8 expires

The tech did not respond so will reping him.

Try running the MVT program it might twig to some issues

http://mvt.mcafee.com

and also workaround 2 here

ERROR: McAfee cannot update your software. Please check your internet connection.

System clock correct?

yans112
Former Member
Message 6 of 12

Okay, I was telling about Microsoft will no longer provide security updates or technical support for Windows XP. If  latest Security updates not released means, It may be exploited by malware.

However thanks for your informative reply...

Peacekeeper
Message 7 of 12

can you post the call job numbers so The tech can preread what was done first?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 12

Branched this its own thread as the original was 3 years old and was solved.

Peter

Volunteer Moderator

fpc_2022
Former Member
Message 9 of 12

Hi yans

Thanks for your response. Yes, I know about Microsoft ceasing support for Windows XP from April 2014. My problem is I have Adobe Creative Suite software (CS3) which won't run successfully on later operating systems. Also, my desktop is perfectly good and I hate throwing out equipment which still has a useful life. But, as a safeguard, I run up-to-date antiviral software and keep it current. I am also very careful with what I download and open. Also, I run Malwarebytes Anti-malware regularly. That seems to work for me.

Peacemaker, is the following what you were referring to in asking for call numbers to be posted for the Tech. These are my service request numbers dealing with this problem. As you can see, this confirms the problem only started around June of this year. It looks like I first contacted McAfee on 13 July unless I missed an earlier service request.

Service Request #: 1569274200

Created Date: 09/16/2014 00:06:22

Service Request #: 1543951333

Created Date: 08/08/2014 22:19:19

Service Request #: 1542858071

Created Date: 08/07/2014 08:42:04

Service Request #: 1528529302

Created Date: 07/15/2014 06:39:17

Service Request #: 1527532235

Created Date: 07/13/2014 20:07:59

Peacekeeper
Message 10 of 12

Waiting for the tech also I am not peacemaker

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community