cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FrousteFaireElk
Former Member
Message 1 of 13

Increasing Problem with Dysfunctional Software-Update Delivery Servers At McAfee?

Increasing Problem with Dysfunctional Software-Update Delivery Servers At McAfee?

Am I the only one experiencing this as an increasing, regular problem?

I am going ballistic with my poor quality-control experience at McAfee. After 15 years
as a prepaid subscribed account with McAfee(currently thru 2011); I am getting ready
to dump them. In the last 18 months I have had more headaches from McAfee's software
than from the viruses they're protecting from. I have mal-formed DATs that will EITHER
refuse to download & install OR mal-formed DATs that disrupt my other software OR
online DAT-servers & online MVT-scans which disagree with the correct update level
of my software, OR etc., etc.!!! What has happened with the quality-control at McAfee.

This online community, sponsored on McAfee's own MAIN PAGE is regularly talking
credibly about the dysfunction of site and DATs while( at the very same time )McAfee
online & on phone technicians and advisors are either clueless or stating nothing is
wrong. How can a company be so out-of-touch with its own customers???? Doesn't
McAfee Management realise the best-case interpretation by customers is uniformed
techs while worst-case interpretation by customers is lying techs

On Monday, my email from McAfee stated that DAT 6041 was released. McAfee's
online MVT stated that my software was fully functional except for the out-of-date 6040
DAT which was in their diagnostic report and reported in my "about" page. YET, and
NEVERTHELESS, ... McAfee's online fix and DAT Delivery Server stated that my
software & DAT level was totally up-to-date...and would not deliver the new DAT to me.
This continued to happened all evening until midnite. I gave up!

On Tuesday, my email from McAfee stated that DAT 6042 was released. McAfee's
online MVT stated that my software was fully functional except for the out-of-date 6040
DAT which was in their diagnostic report and reported in my "about" page. YET, and
NEVERTHELESS, ... McAfee's online fix and DAT Delivery Server stated that my
software & DAT level was totally up-to-date...and would not deliver the new DAT to me.
However, late on Tuesday( after 9pm ) the online MVT and DAT-Delivery Server finally
agreed with each other...and I finally received new DAT

On Wednesday, my email from McAfee stated that DAT 6043 was released. AND NOW
McAfee's online MVT stated that my software was fully functional and up-to-date, EVEN
THOUGH its own diagnostic report showed my DAT at 6042. AND OF COURSE, the
McAfee DAT-Delivery Server stated that my DAT was up-to-date EVEN  THOUGH  IT
CLEARLY WAS NOT.  4 hours later, the McAfee Delivery Server downloaded the new
DAT.

Because of the potential threats to my computer, I have turned the auto-update OFF. I
wait for the McAfee Email stating the release of the new daily DAT. Then I wait until
later in the day before downloading the DAT, just in case there's been any problems
with the "first release" of the DAT. I am experiencing more stress from potential
threats from poor-quality DATs, more stress from inability to get delivery of daily
DATs...than any stress from potential viruses and trojans. WHAT'S WRONG WITH
THIS PICTURE?

12 Replies
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 2 of 13

Re: Increasing Problem with Dysfunctional Software-Update Delivery Servers At McAfee?

Sorry for the inconvenience, to answer your query: the email you got is just a notification about the DAT Files that is about to be released. Moreover it will take time to release the patch across the world wide server. For your information we post the patches on the basis of Geographic regions. 

We recommend you to turn on the Automatic Update. Since, Mcafee will automatically check for the update every 4 hours when it’s turned on with internet connection.

FrustratedInc
Former Member
Message 3 of 13

Re: Increasing Problem with Dysfunctional Software-Update Delivery Servers At McAfee?

My settings are set to get auto updates. My last auto update was Sunday, July 11th and my current DAT file is 6040. I know there have been other DAT files released since then. There is something wrong with the auto updates and I hope someone is looking into it. There have been a lot of problems with updates this year and this problem has not been solved yet. I am disgusted with this software and I am starting to shop around for other security software!

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 13

While waiting for a mcafee answer what version of the product do you have. In the home user version 10.0.* builds have update problems if the Pc is in use, This can hold off updates. 10.5.178 and higher sem to improve on this .

BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 5 of 13

I’m sure we don’t have any issue with auto update. However, kindly let us know about your McAfee product details and the type of internet connection you use.  Did you made any recent changes [software/hardware] ?

FrustratedInc
Former Member
Message 6 of 13

In another thread, a couple of McAfee customers had problems with the auto updates.Whenever I have any kind of issues, I check this message board to see if other customers are experiencing the same issues. I have McAfee Internet Security version 10.5. I have a dial-up connection and I haven't made any changes to my computer at all in the last 6 months. I have been a McAfee customer since 2007 and I never had a problem with auto updates until recently (since June).  As of last night, I didn't receive an auto update and I manually updated my DAT files. My last auto update was July 11.  There is something wrong with the auto updates and I think it needs to be looked into. I am not the only person experiencing this. 

wicken
Former Member
Message 7 of 13

i have the same problem as you.

FrustratedInc
Former Member
Message 8 of 13

Unfortunately, I don't think McAfee is going to acknowledge that there is a problem with auto updates. We are going to have to manually check for updates everyday. My subscription is going to expire soon and I am in the process of shopping around for another brand of internet security software. There have been too many problems this year with McAfee. It's a shame, prior to this year, I was very happy with their product.

BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 9 of 13

We have already investigated the issue with support team and we haven’t been notified by any other users. Well, I tried reproducing the same; negative. So, I feel this might be an issue with your net connection or something else. Let me help you to investigate this issue.

Can you please confirm and perform the steps suggested bellow. 

-          Did you had any pop-ups or alerts in the system

-          Did you have any other security software along with McAfee?

Try to update the windows by [open – Internet Explorer- click on tools- Click on Windows update]

Make sure your computer is update with all the critical updates.

Please post the reply you get from ping download.mcafee.com [Start – Run – type CMD – type ping download.mcafee.com]

Peacekeeper
Message 10 of 13

I have to agree the only times I see an update issue is

1 servers out of sync

2 clash with other security software

haven't seen this in a while esp with 10.5.

Let bala chase it for you

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 17/07/10 12:25:29 PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community