Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Indicium
Contributor
Message 1 of 20

Images from Photobucket blocked

Jump to solution

Why are inserted pictures stored at Photobucket, which is the case in the signature, blocked on the forums?

Kind regards.

United we stand.

Microsoft Edge 44.x (ME 44.x) and/or Mozilla Firefox 68.x (Mozilla FF 68.x)
Microsoft Windows 10 Home (MS Win 10 Home (MS Win10 Home))
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ajacobs
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 16 of 20

Re: Images from Photobucket blocked

Jump to solution

sufferin bucketash!

bucket bucket bucket

Fixed!

View solution in original post

19 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 20

Jump to solution

The answer seems to be that either Jive (this forum's hosting provider) or McAfee has scanned the filenames and detected the word "b u c k e t", and promptly decided that this is a disguised profanity of some sort. Look at the screenshot below and you'll see what I mean.

I can see the reason for this sort of vulgarity- or obscenity-detection, although apparently it can be over-strict at times. If the scanning simply looks for the three letters "uck" then we'll have to watch what we type. If it's the word "bucket" then I'm baffled. Perhaps in America it has a meaning somewhat different from the one that I'm used to. In which case whoever writes the scanning software needs a crash course in sociolinguistics and dialect studies.

Photobucket details.JPG

Edit - HA!  I rest my case, m'lud. Look at the above message and you will see "******" in the text. These asterisks were inserted AFTER I clicked the button to send the message. I actually used the word "b+u+c+k+e+t". I wonder which other "uck" words will get pounced on? Oh goody goody good. I see a fascinating game of Beat The Censor coming up.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 18/04/11 17:56:34 IST

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 18/04/11 2:11:45 EDT PM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 20

Jump to solution

Stick a space between them and they will show.

It seems arbitrary to filter in the body of a post and not the header don't you think?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 18/04/11 2:13:09 EDT PM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 20

Jump to solution

Inidicium I doubt this has anything to do with Photob u c k e t....;-)  More likely to do with the fact that images in signatures here have to be a secure URL (https) and Photowhatsit can't provide that.

If you wish I can take the images and host them in an obscure area of this forum, which will give them a secure URL and then you can use that.

The odd thing is if it's the flags that you are talking about, I see those in your profile OK.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 20

Jump to solution

OK, done and now they are showing.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 20

Jump to solution

I think there is some filtering going on. Look at the screenshot and you will see that the URL has been modified in the page source code so that it shows as "photo******.com". If that was done before the page was rendered then of course the browser would not have been able to resolve that URL.

Edit - I see the images are now hosted locally and are displayable. Nothing objectionable at all there : so it's back to the censoring question - where is the filtering software, and who controls it?

Message was edited by: Hayton on 18/04/11 19:38:51 IST
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 20

Jump to solution

Test uckit uck

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 20

Jump to solution

Well at least Indicium's signature issue is fixed.    Hope that's OK?

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 20

Jump to solution

Indicium's non-display problem has been fixed, but I think I'll mention this in the call tonight. April might know something.

ajacobs
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 10 of 20

Jump to solution

I removed the word bucket from our profanity word list. Don't ask me how that got in there. Sorry!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community