cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
annedious
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

I forgot my windows 10 admin password, can't install mcafee

Hello, I forgot my windows 10 admin password and use the use account, but I was not allowed to install the mcafee on my win 10. So, is there any way to recover or reset my windows 10 admin password, I don't wanna re-install the system due to there are many business files on the computer.

8 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 9

Re: I forgot my windows 10 admin password, can't install mcafee

annedious
Former Member
Message 3 of 9

Peacekeeper 撰写:

How to Reset Your Forgotten Password in Windows 10

There are other links try some of them

HP PCs - How to Recover Your Forgotten Password (Windows 10) | HP® Customer Support

Everything worked beautifully until the last step it is telling me the user name could not be found. So it wont take the new password.

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 9

You sure you have the correct user name? Really this should be asked in the win 10 Microsoft forums as they are the experts in this.

Incidentally the business files are they in the user documents folder or elsewhere on the PC? If the latter maybe look up making a new admin account. Again MS forums best choice.

Was it not shown here? Any admin accounts shown at all?

reset your windows 10

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 9

This may help:  Windows 10 Forums

Once done you can clear the password from the Admin account and set a new one.

If that link doesn't help post in that thread on the Windows 10 Forums asking for help.

Don't worry - until 3rd party software is installed (McAfee) you are still protected by Windows Defender and Windows Firewall.

hkrateus
Former Member
Message 6 of 9

For advanced users, Ophcrack or NTPASSWD, which requires command prompt interaction. The former uses rainbow table to brute-force the password and the later just simply edit the windows registry.

For normal users, UUkeys is a good go as it has a GUI and you only need a few clicks to reset the password. Here is a step by step guide: How to reset win 10 password

P.S No matter which program you are using, it is recommended to format the usb drive with FAT32, or there are boot errors on certain computers.

clark09
Former Member
Message 7 of 9

If it's a Microsoft account, you can reset the password via Microsoft password reset page.

For a local account, there are lots of softwares and recovery methods that can be of help:

Reset Forgotten Windows 10 Password without Reset Disk

6 Ways to Reset Forgotten Windows 10 password for Administrator or Microsoft Account

Or remove the hard drive and connect it to a working PC as slave, backup your files and then do a clean reinstallation.

Peacekeeper
Message 8 of 9

Thanks as this thread is 1 month old I have marked this as answered and locking the thread.

Pomasher
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

@clark09 wrote:

If it's a Microsoft account, you can reset the password via Microsoft password reset page.

For a local account, there are lots of softwares and recovery methods that can be of help:

Reset Forgotten Windows 10 Password without Reset Disk

https://www.mobiledic.com/windows-topic/reset-windows-10-password.html

Or remove the hard drive and connect it to a working PC as slave, backup your files and then do a clean reinstallation.

Thanks for your suggestions,i spent a lot of time on the Internet,this suggestion is of great help to me

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community