cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dansker
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

How to remove old McAfee fragments from a Vista PC

I am using a file (from McAfee) named MCPR to remove the fragmets on a XP pc, but it dont work on a Vista pc, the succesrate failed every time, WHY?, please help.

The attached textfile is a copy of the failed removal log.

6 Replies
MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 2 of 7

Re: How to remove old McAfee fragments from a Vista PC

Hi:

I'm just another home user, and I haven't yet had the occasion to uninstall/clean/reinstall McAfee from this Vista box, but you might wish to check out Peter's detailed steps in this thread:

http://community.mcafee.com/message/112947

As I understand it, the MCPR tool is only designed to clean traces left after a Windows add/remove programs uninstall.  IOW, you don't use the MCPR tool to actually uninstall the McAfee program.  And, you need to reboot at the appropriate times.  And, as Peter suggests, you need to check Windows Explorer after running the MCPR tool to be sure all the McAfee folders (even the empty ones) are gone.

I suppose you could also try running Revo Uninstaller, which is a free, standalone utility that helps to remove traces of uninstalled programs.

You might wish to wait for Peter, Dinz and the other mods/mentors/experts to weigh in, but trying Peter's steps precisely as he describes them ought to work.

Hope this helps,

MM

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 7

Are you running the latest version of MCPR from the Useful Links menu above?  Also are you trying to remove recent home products?  This tool will not remove any McAfee Enterprise or Business products.

If that doesn't work then you'll have to try the long way or contact Technical Support Chat.

Enable Windows Firewall while you are unprotected by McAfee.

The regedit  procedure can be done offline anyway.

Go to Start/Run and enter regedit and click OK.

A page  should open with the top left hand corner looking like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/Ex-Brit/My%20Stuff/Regedit.jpg

if for some  reason it's expanded, collapse it and then highlight My Computer  (Computer in Vista).

Go to File tab and click "Export" and send all of the  registry to your desktop. This is in case something goes wrong. It can  then be rebuilt by simply double-clicking that desktop item.

Now click  the Edit tab and then "Find". Enter "McAfee" (minus the "") then click  "Find next" (or hit the enter key).

Whatever is found, right-click and  delete.

Hit  your F3 key for the next instance and keep going until all entries are  gone.

If  one says it can't be deleted this is where it gets complicated. You  have to then find which key on the left column pertains to it and  right-click/Properties/Permissions and give yourself permission.

If that  happens stop and let me know if you aren't sure of what to do.

If all is  successful that VS7 entry could not possibly remain and you can then  delete the registry backup.

This has to be done when signed in as an Administrator by  the way.

You may  have to repeat it using "Network Associates" and/or "NAI" minus the "" -  it can be a long process.

If this is about business products then you should be posting in the business section.

Dansker
Former Member
Message 4 of 7

Hi there

No i only use the tool to remove the fragments after using Windows Control panel, but as i wrote in Vista the tool dont work 100% only XP pc`s are succesfull.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 7

Well, it is fully compatible with Vista and Windows 7 for that matter so not too sure what is the problem unless the product remnants are from some really old version or, as I said above, from a version other than the home (Consumer) products.

Is this causing a problem with something else?     I'm sorry but unless my registry removal method posted above helps I suggest you contact Technical Support Chat and give them your MCPR log zip to analyse.

It has never failed me in Vista Ultimate x64.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 06/02/10 8:46:22 EST AM
Dansker
Former Member
Message 6 of 7

Hi

Thanks, i wil try that.

Dansker
Former Member
Message 7 of 7

Hi MM

Thanks i wil try this as well, i will try all help i can get.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community