cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jacobdeiter
Contributor
Message 1 of 3

How to identify BIOS is infected with virus

I have Dell Inspiron laptop and recently updated the BIOS(downloaded from Dell site) to newer version. 

Prior to updating Bios, I used a USB drive in my laptop. TheUSB drive I used was infected with virus.

Now my doubt is, is the BIOS infected with any virus? .Howto check the Bios is free from any harmful virus, other stuff

I have followed the below process to update my BIos

1)  Downloaded the latest BIOs software from Dell site to the laptop and Save it to Desktop

2) Run the same file from desktop

3) After some time, got a message Bios got updated.

4) Then,restarted the laptop.

Message was edited by: jacobdeiter on 3/3/14 5:28:45 AM CST

Message was edited by: jacobdeiter on 3/3/14 5:29:09 AM CST
2 Replies
selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 3

Re: How to identify BIOS is infected with virus

Hi Jacob,

I haven't heard of BIOS getting infected with a Virus however there are Instances where BIOS gets corrupted. BIOS corruption might happen due to incorrect Flashing or Updating with software that mismatches Hardware. (Eg. Incorrect Vendors / Manufacturers).

In your case I would recommend to check with DELL's website to see if the BIOS version installed on your PC is the latest. To be on the Safe Side Boot windows to safe mode and Run a McAfee Full scan to make sure everything's fine.

"Do not tamper with BIOS settings as it might cause your PC Unusable if incorrectly handled"

Regards

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 3

Re: How to identify BIOS is infected with virus

You might also want to run a scan using Stinger, Malwarebytes Free and RootkitRemover, see the last link in my signature below.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community