cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
echo
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

How long for a scheduled scan ?

I have had a scan running for about 7 hrs and it is still only at 57% complete I heve never experianced one this long before also noticed that it is slowing down the PC (for the last few scans)

7 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 8

Re: How long for a scheduled scan ?

If you have very large drives or if a drive is compressed or encrypted, or if you have a huge number of zipped files, then the software will take a long time to scan.  Is this a scheduled scan or a custom one?   With the latter you can perhaps tailor the scan to be more selective and take less time as a result.

When posting back give details of the version of McAfee (from "About") and what operating system and service pack this is.

That said I have 3 TB's in total and a full scan of everything takes about 2 hours.

Technical Support may be helpful here and Australia is the one for your area.  http://service.mcafee.com/TechSupportHome.aspx?lc=3081&sg=TS

It's free of charge.

echo
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

The drive is only 500GB and 239GB are free so not much at all. no zipped files that I know of and as I said it is a scheduled scan

Version 11.6  updated  15.05.13

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 8

What operating system and service pack (if applicable)?

Drives that small shouldn't be an issue.

You need to do a chkdsk /r to check for and correct any disk-read errors.

I can post a guide to that if I know what OS this is.

echo
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

Running Vista home and is bang up to date. have run several disc checks which show nothing the scans also show that all is ok so afaik I can rule out virus.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 8

Did you run the disk checks with the /r parameter?  That one not only detects errors but tries to repair them.

If you did  and it turned up clean then I suggest contacting Technical Support via the link under Useful Links at the top of this page.

echo
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

Just had a thought, after so long the monitor and PC go into power save mode but that should not stop the scan or will it ?? and yes I did the detect and repair.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 8

Yes any power options that shut down or sleep the internals would slow or even stop a scan.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community