cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
donotignoreus
Former Member
Message 1 of 11

How is McAfee Security Scan Plus Totally Removed From The Computer?

I consider the unwanted installation of this MW/Product completely unacceptable and I want to know the following:

• A way to total remove this product and all other McAfee products from my XP-Pro computer (All other operating systems should be included)!
  • A way to completely block the installation of ANY McAfee products on ANY computer, phone, laptop, tablet and ALL home appliances and kids toys! (Just in case it shows up on my Toaster, refrigerator, washing machine, diswasher etc).

I can imagine McAfee using Elmo to sell their products to your two year old child!

Tactics like these have ruined respect for all McAfee products!

10 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 11

Re: How is McAfee Security Scan Plus Totally Removed From The Computer?

A bit of an over-reaction isn't it?  It's not all McAfee's fault but Adobe or whomever for carrying extras to help keep their software free and yours for not noticing the option not to install such things is there right in the download cycle.

You can easily uninstall it via Control Panel > Progams and Features - it's only a small application so takes seconds to uninstall.

I don't know of any easy way of blocking any particular brand of software, just keep your eyes on downloads for those extra optional ones you don't need.  Norton and Google Search and Chrome and many others are options with software in just the same way.

It's how software makers keep costs down by cross-advertising.

adobe1.JPG

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 29/07/14 3:35:08 EDT PM
moldyjacket
Former Member
Message 3 of 11

You can’t completely remove it without reinstalling the OS; McAfee admits this by design: https://community.mcafee.com/thread/66530?start=0&tstart=0

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 11

Just because you found that to be the case doesn't mean it's the same for everyone.   If you have an axe to grind I suggest you take it out on the free Technical Support line and not stir up discontent on these forums falsely (and against the forum terms of service I may add).    I assure you Mr. Trobaugh that is simply not true.

I've uninstalled it once or twice and there is no trace that's worth talking about afterwards.  Mind you anything you install leaves a trace somewhere and not just McAfee software either.

MJ in your case you have a full suite of software installed.  We're talking abiout a tiny utility here.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 29/07/14 3:53:12 EDT PM
moldyjacket
Former Member
Message 5 of 11

I don’t think he stipulated what was installed.

I tested from bare bones ISP (TWC) provided McAfee (SC, AV and VS) which has been supplied for years. I published the complete parameters and results which anyone else could test for themselves, it’s called the scientific method.

What full testing have you produced that can be validated by others?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 11

As the header states Security Scan Plus.  It's a tiny utility that tells one if one needs security software.

moldyjacket
Former Member
Message 7 of 11

• The name of the install is misleading.
  • Neither of us can make pronouncements at this point.
  • Most disturbing: again the post I replied to has been changed casting me in a different light.
selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 8 of 11

Hi moldyjacket,

Peter is right. There is vast difference between MSS+ and McAfee Total Protection. I should admit that you are comparing an ant to an elephant

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 11

moldyjacket wrote:

• The name of the install is misleading.
  • Neither of us can make pronouncements at this point.
  • Most disturbing: again the post I replied to has been changed casting me in a different light.

Spelling mistakes, which I see I did not totally correct and added the last line, I think.  It doesn't alter anything & was meant for clarification.   I wish you'd stop telling the unpaid help that they are useless as we have better things to do I assure you.

We Mods are extremely busy and type in a great hurry so mistakes are made and bits left out, often.   You know exactly what was said in your first email notification so what's the big deal?

Thank you Selvan, at least you are 'official'.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit  SPELLCHECK on 29/07/14 7:59:45 EDT PM
moldyjacket
Former Member
Message 10 of 11

I understand his frustration more completely.

SecurityScan_Release.exe (file version 3.8.150.1, DS timestamp April 09, 2014 9:21:04 AM) obtained directly from McAfee’s official website locks on a fully updated clean build XP SP3 machine. The McAfee Security Scan Component Host Service enters the running state but stalls at “Preparing to Scan Web Threats” and its running taskbar is inactive with no redraw restore. Task Manager shows no CPU/disk activity but can be stopped once returned as unresponsive, normal Start button shutdown is available too. This is the only message (Application log) that is relevant:

Event Type: Information

Event Source: McComponentHostService

Event Category: None

Event ID: 0

User: N/A

Description: The description for Event ID (0) in Source (McComponentHostService) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service started.

This product is not acceptable, functional or testable for XP.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community