cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
razor87th
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

How do I uninstall McAfee software using only Command Prompt?

Hello everyone!

I am currently having issues rebooting my PC after trying to install the McAfee Internet Security on my computer. The PC will not reboot and I still have files on my desktop which I need to recover before resetting my PC. This will be my 2nd time resetting the PC to factory default and I am trying to avoid going through the hassle of reinstalling all my programs again.

I figure if I could delete the McAfee program from my desktop, it should be able to help my PC reboot. However I only have access to the command prompt and I tried the method outlined in the Windows 7 forum post here: Programs - Uninstall using Command Prompt in Windows - Windows 7 Help Forums.

However it didn't work as I had the same error message as another forum poster. This is the error message:

Node - MININT-BIRNS7C

ERROR=

Description = Invalid class

Is anyone able to help point me to the right direction to solve this and get my PC running again? Thanks all in advance !

6 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 7

Re: How do I uninstall McAfee software using only Command Prompt?

Moved to General Discussion.

There is no way of uninstalling the consumer software using the Command Prompt that I know of.   Uninstall the normal way via Control Panel > Programs and Features.

If you can't access that then can you at least download the MCPR removal tool and save it to your desktop and run that?

Reboot after running.

razor87th
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

I'm afraid that's not possible since my computer isn't even able to go into Windows. It hangs at the screen where you see the Windows logo. Are there any other alternative ways I can access my files on the desktop at least ? If i can safely extract them I can just do a reset to factory settings.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 7

Beyond my knowledge I'm afraid.  Technical Support is free of charge by phone if you want to try that.

Contact Support

Other than that perhaps enlist the help of a Windows 7 community?  I can suggest:  http://www.sevenforums.com/

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 7

I don't think uninstalling the A/V will make much difference if the system is already unbootable.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 7

Can you boot into Safe Mode?  If so you could try System Restore.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 7

The only way to retrieve files would be to treat that computer like you would an external hard drive and connect it to another machine via USB or eSata link and extract your files from the hard drive that way.

Other than that all I can suggest is a professional Data Retrieval Service.

If this is due to the use of a registry cleaner, then you've found out the hard way that they are not recommended.

If due to infection some tips and tools in the following link may be of use to you, if not now, at least in the future.

Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

To retrieve the computer itself you would need to format the hard drive and reinstall the system.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community