cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
reppohdk
Contributor
Message 11 of 20

Re: How do I opt out of your marketing popups?

I doubt you are working too hard for a solution .... note the date of the post below

03-21-2022 03:19 PM
Re: Annoying McAfee Popup Spam - How to Disable?

Hi @Nimarus 

When I go to information alerts in the mcafee settings, there is no disable option, just a 'read more' link.

This is poor business and a slight on the previously good McAfee name ... has it been taken over by Trojans?

arlonc
Contributor
Message 12 of 20

Venkat,

Appreciate the answer but known issue no doubt. Mcafee knew exactly what they were doing with it. SPAM marketing to PAID customers in attempt entice further product sales. I am with whomever above said, "IF I WANT IT, I'LL BUY IT". For me, this problem is fixing to disappear. I work between 11 different machines, and this disruption will be GOING AWAY soon. We are just discussing HOW? After a continuous 20-year subscription, I know how to get rid of it. I would suggest to McAfee that they speed that little patch up before I do. Then MAYBE, they can retain the multiple licence(S) that I already own.

Thank you.

Rapptor201
Contributor II
Message 13 of 20

Here is another marketing popup:

Venkat_YM
Message 14 of 20

Hi @Rapptor201 @arlonc 

Please perform the below step and update the outcome.

• Open the Start menu and click the gear icon or use the Win + I keyboard shortcut to launch the Settings app.
  •  Navigate to System > Notifications.
  • Scroll down to the Notifications from apps and other senders section.
  • 4 Locate McAfee on the app list and disable the toggle next to it.

Regards,
Venkat

SickofYourPopup
Contributor II
Message 15 of 20

Venkat,

This does not work because the popups are NOT notifications.  The app uses Microsoft edge code to post to the desktop and display an ad for crap we didn't want or need.   I have documented this weeks ago with screenshots, above in the thread.  

I did find a fix though!!

I've uninstalled the app completely on all machines.  Problem solved.

Rapptor201
Contributor II
Message 16 of 20

@Venkat_YM 

First, thanks for posts from @SickofYourPopup , @arlonc , and @reppohdk.

As others have already told you, these popups are not notifications.  The McAfee app is using MS EdgeWebView2.  

So, I have uninstalled WebView2.  We shall see if doing so disrupts other applications.

If so, then I am going with SickofYourPopup's solution.

Rapptor201
Contributor II
Message 17 of 20

Uninstalling WebView2 prevents McAfee executing, so I quess that solved the popups ... and since it is not running at all now, I uninstalled all my McAfee products.
SickofYourPopup
Contributor II
Message 18 of 20

Those were my results as well, Rapptor201,  thanks for confirming.  

I doubt they have any intention of fixing this. 

leaving
Contributor
Message 19 of 20

I found a way to stop the nagging, LEAVE. I have had Total Protection for years. Two features I liked were the shredder and the program control function in the firewall. They took away program control and added this constant incessant nagging with popups on your computer. They have no respect for your privacy or work. Some are huge, and some have been two or three a week, or even a day. You could be in the middle of an online course, and the popup covers some important, You could be watching a movie, recording something on your screen, anything, and Mcafee could care less. Mcafee could send emails, instead, they use a method that you have no control over. They take advantage of having access to your device and exploit it. Don't they know this is driving away customers?

Since Mcafee completely ignores the complaints and concerns of its customers, I searched for something with the same virus protection, without this annoyance. I found Bitdefender. It still has the program control for the firewall, a shredder, and my research shows people applauding it for NOT using this awful marketing and spam technique of popups on your computer. When this subscription ends, I'm leaving and switching to a better product

#spam, #nagging, #popups, #bitdefender

# spam, # nagging, # popups, # bitdefender

AlfieJ
Contributor
Message 20 of 20

Excellent post, leaving.

I've used Bitdefender in a corporate environment and it's a good choice. For personal use I'm moving to Windows Defender which gives me adequate protection and a lot more control over the configuration, especially over notifications and pop-ups.

Have uninstalled McAfee products and will not be renewing subscription.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community