cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 21 of 25

Re: How can I launch internet explorer without having to disable McAfee virus scan?

Hi,

We have sent a Private message[PM] to you. Can you please reply to it? clarify the following.

Did you remember doing any recent change to the computer?

I see that you been advised to check with Microsoft with reference to you’re the IE issue. Did you called the Microsoft by any chance.

Looking forward to you PM…

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 22 of 25

Re: How can I launch internet explorer without having to disable McAfee virus scan?

When a virus attempts to access your system, or a program behaves in a suspicious manner, you could get an Artemis detection. Artemis is not a virus, Artemis detects viruses. McAfee VirusScan uses Artemis technology to recognize threatening behavior from potential viruses that haven't been found yet. Sometimes the files it detects could be legitimate though. We suggest submitting a sample of the file it quarantined to the McAfee Lab. If it is a false detection, you can replace the file and should be fine. I'll link some articles I think will help you with this:

It's a bit of reading, but I think it might be the information you need. Please let me know if I can help you further.

dlinn123
Former Member
Message 23 of 25

Will do.  Regardless, I'm pretty sure it is not normal software behavior for McAfee to have a pop up every 5-7 seconds repeating that it has detected and removed a trojan.

dlinn123
Former Member
Message 24 of 25

Bala -

The only change I have done recently (besides automatic windows and mcafee updates) is renew/reinstall McAfee.  As I have mentioned in prior threads, IE7 worked fine prior to reinstallation of McAfee.  Immediately after installing McAfee is when I was no longer able to access the internet via IE7 without workarounds.

No, I have not called Microsoft yet - I spent 5 hours on the phone with a McAfee technician yesterday, and my computer is now working fine with IE6.  After everything McAfee tried yesterday, I am not optimistic spending more time on the phone with Microsoft will help.  However I will give that a try when I have time and report back.
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 25 of 25

*nod* I understand how you're feeling. I would still recommend giving Microsoft a call as soon as you have the time and energy for it though. IE6 has more vulnerabilities than both 7 and 8, and I'd really like to see you fully up and running.

What is being detected now? If you know the name, I'm more than happy to do a little reading and find out whatever I can about that threat and it's removal. And of course, Bala and I will help as much as we can.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community