cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 11 of 25

Re: How can I launch internet explorer without having to disable McAfee virus scan?

This sounds like malware to me. There's some standard scanning stuff to try, and I'd like to see the log it generates.

Scan in safe mode:

Tap F8 repeatedly while booting up. You'll get a boot screen with choices. Pick Safe Mode. Your PC will boot in a low resolution state as most processes wont be running.
Go to "My Computer" (XP) or "Computer" (Vista), right-click the hard drive and select "Scan" from the drop-down menu.
All you'll see is an extra taskbar icon which will show a progress report if you hover over it.

Run Stinger:
Download and run the Mcafee free stinger program
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
Set it to Report Mode (in Preferences) and post the logs of anything it detects.

dlinn123
Former Member
Message 12 of 25

Re: How can I launch internet explorer without having to disable McAfee virus scan?

Thanks, I will give that a try and report back.

dlinn123
Former Member
Message 13 of 25

Hello Somer -

I ran the scan in safe mode - there were no items detected, fixed, or quarantined.

I also ran the Stinger scan as directed - that came back clean too.  Here is the report:

McAfee® Stinger Version 10.0.1.688 built on Nov 24 2009

Copyright © 2009 McAfee, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Virus data file v5000 created on Nov 23 2009.

Ready to scan for 1370 viruses, trojans and variants.

Scan initiated on Fri Jan 22 05:18:13 2010

Number of clean files: 188112

Any other ideas?  One update on IE freezing at launch - sometimes after I launch the initial browser and it is frozen/clocking, if I launch a new one that sometimes unfreezes IE and the home page loads without having to disable McAfee Virus scan.  Also if I open McAfee and use a link to the internet within McAfee help, that seems to launch IE without freezing.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 14 of 25

Hmm... Ok, let's try this. Can you run Stinger for me again, except this time when it opens, go to Preferences and set the required sensitivity level to Very High. Also, set the On virus detection action to Report only to make sure valid files aren't accidentally removed. I'd like to see if Artemis finds anything there.

dlinn123
Former Member
Message 15 of 25

Will do.  Just FYI I did set it to run with a level of "HIGH" (I would have picked "very high" but didn't know if that would make the scan take forever and I only had 45 min) - I will run again at a "very high" level and report back.

dlinn123
Former Member
Message 16 of 25

On the "very high" setting nothing was detected - similar log file as I sent earlier.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 17 of 25

Very interesting. I've sent you an email. If you're okay with it, I'd like to do some more in-depth troubleshooting. I'll wait to hear back from you, and whatever we find we'll post back to this thread.

sewfun
Contributor
Message 18 of 25

I hope someone can answer this problem.  I have tried all the suggested solutions and nothing has worked.  It all started yesterday when I managed to get the Artemis virus { I don't understand how I can get a virus when McAfee total protection is running all the time, But I did}  When the virus was deleted It left me with this Internet explorer problem .  I am also unable to back up my computer to a previous date.  I have been a long time user of McAfee and sent them a lot of my hard earned money and find their customer support very lacking.  I'm using a gateway with xp service pack 3. Internet explorer 8.

Fox fire and AOL browsers work fine.

any help will be greatly appreciated

user_102835
Former Member
Message 19 of 25

I had a problem about a month ago when I supposedly got an Artemis virus.  My microsoft money stopped working.  The file that was deleted was part of the money operating system and neccessary for the program to run.  I sent a copy of the file to McAfee and it was not a virus.  So it was a false positive.  This may be your case also.  To get your program to run you may have to use the restore function in McAfee to restore the deleted file.  I would send a copy to McAfee first to see if it is a real virus or a false positive.

There are guidelines on this here:  http://community.mcafee.com/message/6645#6645

dlinn123
Former Member
Message 20 of 25

Hey Somer -
Here is an update: I spent about 5 hours on the phone with McAfee support - Denish - yesterday - he could not get IE7 to work (or IE8).  He uninstalled and reinstalled many times and could not get it to work.  He did many other things too to check for viruses, etc. - my PC was completely clean from any infections.  Anyway,  IE6 works fine, so he left me with IE6 and suggested talking to my PC manufacturer.  While I understand his conclusion given all the things he tried, it doesn't change the fact that IE7 worked fine until I renewed McAfee (he said that was just a coincidence since he uninstalled McAfee and IE7 still did not work - although with my initial troubleshooting with the help desk over a week ago, IE7 DID work after McAfee was uninstalled).  I don't know what to do other than just plan to just stick with IE6 for now - I hardly doubt my PC manufacturer is going to be able to help me solve why IE7 won't work with McAfee installed.  We did reinstall Firefox and it works fine.
And unfortunately about 5 minutes after he logged off my machine, I started getting messages that McAfee removed a trojan (first time EVER that McAfee has detected and needed to remove anything).  I ran a scan (which quarantined two "generic" trojans) and while the scan was running McAfee pop up notice popped up repeatedly (every 5-7 seconds) that McAfee detected and removed a trojan.  Once the scan stopped the pop up message went away - I'm guessing some kind of setting needs to be changed. Perhaps the two trojans that were quarantined kept getting restored and thus McAfee kept removing them repeatedly (thus the continuous pop up message).  If you have any thoughts there, that would be appreciated.
Thanks for all your help.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community