cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
twilleby
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

Help!!!!

Hi I am new to Mcafee and computers in general I downloaded and paid for site advisor with understanding that would see colored icon before search page opened. Have not seen colored shield anywhere and ran spybot and had 99 trogans am I doing something wrong? Is there suppose to be a search window next to mcafee symbol? Also noticed someone asked about uninstalling mcafee stated was blocked from different areas Im also blocked from alot of areas on computer and thought had virus causing this is it mcafee doing this? or is mcafee a virus?

3 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 4

Re: Help!!!!

Have you got an antivirus and firewall installed as you only mentioned siteadvisor?  What browser are you using? In IE you should have an green tab top right. My firefox shows it bottom left. Firefox needs to activate it as an addon.

That said what do you mean blocked ? Are you saying a virus has stopped your access to folders?

Best to download and run the following

1. stinger

2 getsusp (both these need redownloading as they do not auto update)

Add yur email in the getsusp preferences.

3 Run malwarebytes.

McAfee Communities: Anti-Spyware, Malware & Hijacker Tools

Then see what /how the pc goes.

tripodzid
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

I currently have an AV and would like to know what is the difference of having Malwarebytes?

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 4

Malwarebytes looksat different  types of infections. It can have higher false detections as it is quite severe on detections so I hear. I recommend it as a 2nd opinion to Mcafee

· ...from one of the lead developers of MalwareBytes (Bruce Harrison) :
As far as why MBAMis very good at dealing with fake AV infections, that is simple.MBAM is designed to be very good at dealing with malware that the AVs seem tobe having problems with. I do not spend my time making MBAM detect millions of infections that any decent AV already detects as
MBAM is DESIGNED to work alongside antivirus software, not replace it. A huge chunk of the research that goes into MBAM revolves around what we see making it into HiJackThis HJT  threads as the vast majority of these threads involve antivirus software that was in some waybypassed.
Lets settle this now and avoid any further misinformation. MBAM is now a very good backup to any antivirus software and will only get better in the future.MBAM will NEVER add antivirus abilities to itscore app and is always advised to be used WITH antivirus software. We actually get this question a lot in the forums and I assure you that we always say :

"No, MBAM can't replace your existing antivirus software and is not designed to."

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community