cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
williamkidd
Former Member
Message 51 of 69

Re: Has the McAfee website stopped working?

Jump to solution

Is everyone having the problem using the default DNS server? If so then I would suggest trying Google DNS or Open DNS to see if that helps.

It looks like Open DNS requires an account setup though, does anyone know if I'm reading this wrong? I'm using Google DNS but this problem isn't affecting me so I can't tell if it will fix the issue.

volksdevil
Former Member
Message 52 of 69

Jump to solution

I can't access lastfm and other sites either. I think I'm just going to have to make time to switch to virgin. Tired of speeds of 8mgps, and constant issues like this, joke!

enemess
Former Member
Message 53 of 69

Jump to solution

Williamkidd,

Thanks, just tried using GoogleDNS and it has allowed me to connect to some of the sites that weren't working. Therefore it's definitely a DNS issue with BT and perhaps other service providers. Now to sort my parents computer!

Cheers All!

ollier262
Contributor
Message 54 of 69

Jump to solution

Thanks Williamkidd! I changed my DNS to Googles and the Mcafee download link finally worked.

(I followed these instructions)

Changing DNS server settings on Microsoft Windows 7

1. Go the Control Panel.
  2. Click Network and Internet, then Network and Sharing Center, and click Change adapter settings.
  3. Select the connection for which you want to configure Google Public DNS. For example:
    • To change the settings for an Ethernet connection, right-click Local Area Connection, and click Properties.
    • To change the settings for a wireless connection, right-click Wireless Network Connection, and click Properties.
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  4. Select the Networking tab. Under This connection uses the following items, select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) or Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and then click Properties.
  5. Click Advanced and select the DNS tab. If there are any DNS server IP addresses listed there, write them down for future reference, and remove them from this window.
  6. Click OK.
  7. Select Use the following DNS server addresses. If there are any IP addresses listed in the Preferred DNS server or Alternate DNS server, write them down for future reference.
  8. Replace those addresses with the IP addresses of the Google DNS servers:
    • For IPv4: 8.8.8.8 and/or 8.8.4.4.
    • For IPv6: 2001:4860:4860::8888 and/or 2001:4860:4860::8844
volksdevil
Former Member
Message 55 of 69

Jump to solution

Cheers, that's got me back online and able to download the mcafee update. Now the only issue which I'm pretty damn pissed off about is that siteadvisor has disappeared from chrome.

It took forever to get this working with chrome when I first installed it, mcafee guys spent hours/days with me to get it sorted and now it's gone!

Totally blame BT btw...

Message was edited by: volksdevil on 8/25/12 4:18:37 PM CDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 56 of 69

Jump to solution

Run the MVT again, maybe that will fix it. http://mvt.mcafee.com/  and/or, try rebooting again and then checking the Chrome add-ons to see if it needs to be enabled.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 57 of 69

Jump to solution

volksdevil wrote:

siteadvisor has disappeared from chrome.

Let me know if you find a way to get it back. It won't show in my Chrome even though it says it's there as a Plugin (and enabled). Not there as an extension. I just gave up on it in the end.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 58 of 69

Jump to solution

For everyone having problems connecting to sites including McAfee and LastFM who is with BT, read the following exchange which I found on answers.yahoo.com (http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120825104836AAj8X9K)

Particular website doesn

sallytoff
Contributor III
Message 59 of 69

Jump to solution

Thanks for the info Hayton. Hopfully be sorted then tomorrow.  Just came on to see if it was working yet! Still no joy. Oh well off to bed I go

annalee
Former Member
Message 60 of 69

Jump to solution

Windows XP computer connected to Linksys E4200 router. Internet service - comcast

This message is for the experts. People should not do what I describe unless an expert tells you to. I am reporting this only because it might be helpful if my problem was the same as described in this thread. I use McAfee and my computer's behavior was as described.

I MAY have had the same problem when I got up this morning. The computer could connect to the router but couldn't communicate. A second computer without McAfee connected to the same router had no problems.

I noticed some strange ping results and a search found this link:

http://forums.techguy.org/networking/994174-solved-ping-could-not-find.html

I tried the suggested (dos) commands:

netsh winsock reset catalog

netsh int ip reset reset.log

and rebooted.

The problems were solved.

Again, I am messaging the experts. I don't know if my problem was the same as is being discussed here. It just behaved the same. Don't try this unless an expert has OKed it.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community