cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
richmonduser
Former Member
Message 1 of 18

Full scan times out before completion

When I run a full scan, it stops at 62% of completion.  Contacted Level 2 support and they told me that the product sets a time limit on the duration of a full scan.  So they were unable to offer any solution which would enable the full scan to run to completion.  Has anyone else encountered this issue?  Has anyone got a workaround to suggest?

17 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 18

Re: Full scan times out before completion

Could you please provide your McAfee Suite Version/Build, and your operating system please? I can possibly bring this up on our Call next Monday.  I have not experienced such a issue. I will run a Full Scan and apprise you of my personal findings.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Peacekeeper
Message 3 of 18

If they mentioned a time limit that is a new 1 on us. How long was it scanning for when it locked?

Also size and number of files on each drive  another data that might help

richmonduser
Former Member
Message 4 of 18

McAfee SecurityCenter

Version 16.0.4

McAfee SecurityCenter

Version 16.4

Build: 16.4.187

AffId:105

McAfee VirusScan

Version:20.4

Build:20.4.168

Engine version: 3168.0

Operating System: Windows 10 Home

Version 1709

Os Build: 16299.19

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 18

Thank you for the info, I see that you subscribe to a third party. Which tends to lag behind somewhat opposed to being purchased directly from McAfee. You should be updated to the latest Version/Build (16.5.190) in the near future.

I never experienced your issue when I was on your Version/Build or on my current one. I have indeed brought this up to discuss Monday on our Call.

​  Could you add to the discussion please?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
richmonduser
Former Member
Message 6 of 18

OK thank you, will wait for further news.  I'm actually dubious that the time limit exists, but the tech said it was implemented because some scans "took too long".  I suspect that it may have been a falsehood which allowed him to close the case without actually fixing it, but will wait to see what your Monday call reveals.  Thanks again for taking this issue up.

Peacekeeper
Message 7 of 18

How long was it (the scan) I am curious?

richmonduser
Former Member
Message 8 of 18

Approximately 2.5 hours.

richmonduser
Former Member
Message 9 of 18

The scan takes approximately 2.5 hours before it ends prematurely.

Recently it's been ending at 62% of completion after scanning 513,000 - 533,000 files. 

A normal scan used to involve scanning approx. 700,000 files.

Hard drive is a 1TB Solid State Drive.

File Explorer reports for C: 284GB used in 247,213 files.  I have an external hard drive for backup which is connected.  275GB used in 102,716 files.

I have no explanation for the difference in file count between McAfee and Windows.  I set the property to view hidden files, so they should be included in the Windows count.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 18

I apologize for my delayed response. I just moments ago ran a 'Full Scan'  I experienced no hesitations/pauses/or any difficulties for the duration of the scan. It took 56 minutes to complete. Below is a screenshot of files scanned.

Capture.PNG

While it does not seem you have any hardware related issues, do you by chance have any other Security software installed by chance running the RTS module? As I have stated I have brought this up for a Topic of Discussion this upcoming Monday.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community