cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John-W
Contributor
Message 1 of 3

FreeScan won't download to Windows 98 with IE6

FreeScan will not now download with Windows 98 + Internet Explorer 6.  (The last time I used it was about a week ago)

Is anyone else experiencing problems?

Has McAfee made a recent change to FreeScan which has affected its use with W98+IE6?

This has worked OK for 2 or 3 years and I'm confident that no changes have been made to my two Windows 98 systems. It still works OK on my Windows XP system.

The diagnostic message is 'An error occurred while downloading the objects. Please ensure you click Yes when the ActiveX certificate appears'.

But no certificate appears!  I've experimented with lowering IE Security & Privacy levels to minimums with no change.

Labels (1)
2 Replies
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 2 of 3

Re: FreeScan won't download to Windows 98 with IE6

Hi John,

Sorry for the inconvenience. But we don’t support Windows 98 anymore. However, all you have to do is you just have to upgrade operating system.

John-W
Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: FreeScan won't download to Windows 98 with IE6

Thank you for your reply ‘BalaSGS’.

Is this an official McAfee company statement that FreeScan will no longer work with Windows 98?

I suspect that a change has just been made which has inforseen and untested impact on Windows 98.

When the download fails the link ‘ActiveX must be enabled’ leads to McAfee FreeScan Help. This declares the System Requirements as:

- Microsoft Windows 98, ME, 2000 or XP

- Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 or later

(Note. No support for Vista or W7?!)

Unfortunately the failure mode I have reported reflects poor product quality. If only certain user environments are supported then the software should check the environment and report this.

May I suggest that, instead of dismissing the problem, the Development Team reviews the recent changes to ascertain whether a simple correction may be implemented?  Hopefully the problem can be corrected!

Please would McAfee confirm the result of this review?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community