cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LarryGinMO
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

File Shredder - Some Items Can't Be Shredded

OK, ran into this a couple weeks ago and finally taking the time to SEARCH the Community Forum but did not see anything, and I know its affecting others.

Typically run the File Shredder on the RECYCLE BIN (the default shredder location) and all is hunkie dorie.  However, a couple weeks ago I notice it claimes to have left X items (assumably in the RECYCLE BIN that it could not shred.  But wait a minute, the BIN is empty ... nothing there.

So can anyone tell me :

1)  Where are these unshreddable files?

2) Can the file count be reset someway if this was an anomaly?

Quite surprised there was not a POST with this problem verbatim as I have seen such a question outside the McAfee Forum but the response was "go check the McAfee CF"!

Thanks,

LarryGinMO

12 Replies
GaneshR
Message 2 of 13

Re: File Shredder - Some Items Can't Be Shredded

Hi @LarryGinMO 

Greetings From McAfee!!!

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. When you delete a file from your Windows PC, the data is not completely deleted. The 'deleted' files can be recovered at any time using readily available tools. Sometimes, recovering a deleted file might be a good thing. But other times, you might want files that have been deleted to stay deleted. Your McAfee security software for Windows includes a feature called Shred unwanted files, which permanently deletes the files.

1. Shredder completely erases the contents of the folder that you select
  2. You can't recover items that were shredded

Shred Unwanted Files.

For more queries, please reach McAfee consumer support

McAfee Consumer Support

Regards

Ganesh Raju R

LarryGinMO
Contributor
Message 3 of 13

@GaneshRthanks for the response, but typical Level 1 help ... you did not answer the question that was being asked.

I already know how to use the file shredder.  that was not the question.

The question is WHY is it telling me there were X files that could not be shredded ... and WHERE are those files or so I can manually check them, so the shred process gets completed and will no longer report "5 items left".

Have a good day sir.  I will open a ticket with McAfee.

LG

TerenceC
Contributor
Message 4 of 13

I'm having the same problem the whole programm is near useless thes days, they fix one thing and knacker something else. As for the response you got sums up they never try their own programme to see if it all works still! total lack of understanding

Puzzled1
Contributor
Message 5 of 13

A similar problem exists with removing trackers. Mcafee used to remove all files (or so it claimed) until about two years ago. Now when you run the remove trackers you are left with a quantity that it says cannot be removed.

Earlier this year I had a message from Mcafee that the tracker problem had been resolved following an update. Not So. I keep my programme up to date  but if these files in the recycle bin and temporary files are not being removed then HOW SAFE IS MCAFEE?

Has anybody current experience using other programmes such as Norton and if so do these problems still occur when using the alternative programme?

BentNotBroken
Contributor II
Message 6 of 13

Same here. Mine says 23 files couldn't be deleted. McAfee support leaves a lot to be desired.

juliet777
Contributor II
Message 7 of 13

It's possible that the File Shredder is encountering files in other locations on your system, not just the Recycle Bin. Try running a full system scan to identify any potential files that cannot be shredded. Resetting file count: Check if there is an option within the File Shredder settings or McAfee interface to reset the file count or clear any error logs. Alternatively, you may want to try reinstalling or updating the McAfee software to see if it resolves the issue. Fm Whatsapp

puzzled2
Contributor
Message 8 of 13

I ve had the same problem also. Yes it now says it cant shred 121 files at every shred. This is new, it used to always overstate the number of files it shredded by exactly 34 (say 7 files in recycle, it would say it shredded 41), no mention of files it couldnt shred. This switch seemingly happened overnight....after a mcafee update maybe???
The_Eagle_007
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Re: Download GB Whatsapp APK

Why this post title is download GB Whatsapp APK ? GB whatsapp is related to malware.

The_Eagle_007
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 13

Re: Download GB Whatsapp APK

@GaneshRplease look into the matter. This user is promoting GB Whatsapp here.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community