cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kenisaacson
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

Exe file to actually start a backup?

Is there an exe file that actually starts a backup? (As opposed to opening the MOBK Status or MOBK Configuration?)

I find that MOBK sometimes has a problem backing up my Outlook.pst file if Outlook is running at the time of the backup. MOBK is set to run automatically at 10PM every night. I usually remember to close OL in the evening, but since I sometimes forget, I've created a batch file to run (via Windows Task Scheduler) at 9:45PM to close OL if open. That way, when 10PM rolls around, OL is sure to be closed.

What I'd like to do, though, is automate the process so the two run hand-in-hand: Close OL, then run MOBK, regardless of what time MOBK is set to run. That way, I could change the time MOBK runs but wouldn't have to fiddle with the batch file that closes OL.

I can't figure out how to trigger a Windows task to run when a particular app starts, so I'd like to create a task in Windows Task Scheduler that basically says: "Start an MOBK backup|Kill Outlook.exe"

Is there an exe file that I can tell Windows Task Scheduler to start in order to get the MOBK backup going? It seems that the config exe opens up all the settings, and the status exe opens up the app where I then have to click "Start Backup."

In other words, I guess, is there a command line instruction to "start backup"?

Many thanks.

Ken

6 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 7

Re: Exe file to actually start a backup?

If you have MOBK set to start at a particular time, all you really need to do is create a task to kill or close Outlook just prior to that.  I don't have MOBK installed so I can't really advise on that but I do have Outlook installed, although hardly ever use it except as an emergency backup mail programme.

I found this online which may help you create that task if your other one isn't working:  http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/closeoutlookscript.htm

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 16/01/14 8:15:24 EST AM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 7

I re-read your post and realise that what I posted probably isn't much help, sorry.  No-one as far as I know has published a "How-To Do Tasks" for MOBK but they have published one to start an anti-virus scan, which you may be able to adapt to suit:  

https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-5503

Mind you, it included an additional step to wake the computer, so not sure if it will help at all.   But if you can locate the .exe (or whatever) that starts MOBK then it should be adaptable.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 16/01/14 8:21:41 EST AM
kenisaacson
Former Member
Message 4 of 7

Peter,

That link is helpful...but it begs the question: What exact exe file do I need to start up?

Thanks.

Ken

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 7

Good question.  You could try asking Technical Support by phone or online chat, it's free after all and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

kenisaacson
Former Member
Message 6 of 7

Peter,

FYI, Tech Support reports there's no such exe that can be invoked.

Thanks for your help.

Ken

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 7

Well too bad, would the second choice of another task to ensure Outlook is closed prior to the scheduled backup time be feasible?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community