Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
docvbk
Former Member
Message 1 of 3

Email corruption by McAfee

McAfee is corrupting my email.

Subject of email is not what is contained in the body of the email.

Subject may be "The Bible Quiz Results" but the body will actually contain "Salvation 1 Quiz Results."

And the body will many times contain the same file over and over.

I have disabled my email scanning but that has not solved the problem.

I have researched it and this is a common problem between McAfee and WinMail.

Many recommend discontinuing the use of McAfee because even when email scan is shut off that still will many times not solve the problem.

They recommend uninstalling McAfee, then saving email and settings, and then uninstall and reinstall Winmail without reinstalling McAfee.

I have several thousand files and sub-files that contain necessary information from my 1,100 students worldwide for our free online college.

I cannot have these files corrupted.

Corruption has been accelerating.  At first it was only one file, and then several, and now it is up to around a dozen with corruption of more files now happening 2 or 3 times per week.

I have started saving copies on our leased server at bluehost.com and when I check the copies the emails are correct.  It is only after I download to my computer that the corruption takes place.

Is there any way to fix this problem and still keep my McAfee?

2 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 3

Re: Email corruption by McAfee

Unsure so will ask the techs in our call Monday.

Pointed our admin here as well

Have you uninstalled mcafee via the mcpr removal tool and reinstalled it to see if it was a corruption. I have used winmail and mcafee 4 versions with no issue. Tool available via the useful links tab top of this page

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 31/01/10 7:51:24 PM
Peacekeeper
Message 3 of 3

Re: Email corruption by McAfee

Try uninstalling Mcafee reboot then see if the issue still happens. If it does then you have another problem that is not caused by mcafee.

Also run the scanners mentioned below to see if you have any issues with files the got past your scanner.

First try updating your dat files a new 1 that covers the malware might be available. If that gives no joy then:---

Try scanning your PC with Virusscan in safe mode.i.e.

Tap F8 repeatedly while booting up. You'll get a boot screen with choices. Pick Safe Mode. Your PC will boot in a low resolution state as most processes wont be running.

Go to "My Computer" (XP) or "Computer" (Vista), right-click the hard drive and select "Scan" from the drop-down menu.

All you'll see is an extra taskbar icon which will show a progress report if you hover over it.

Then if the problem has not been solved

Download and run the Mcafee free stinger program

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Set it to Report Mode (in Preferences) and post the logs of anything it detects.

If things are still unstable or your want a second opinion then to be on the safe side scan with the free versions of these tools:

http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

If malwarebytes was already installed and the virus could be protecting itself against it try this

In order to get Malwarebytes running, you'll need to rename the executable.. If Malwarebytes is already

installed, open the C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Antimalware folder, then rename the "mbam.exe" file

to something else, like "gogetum.com", then double click directly on the file to open the program.

After updating the program, Run a full system scan using Malwarebytes

Update both programs them before running them and let them clean anything they find. If they quarantine

a file or fails to remove a file try to get a copy of it and send it to Mcafee using the virus submission path described here.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100095

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community