cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ianfootyfan
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

Do I need both Total Protection and Security Center?

I have two live McAfee subscriptions: one for Security Center (2 licences) which came with the laptop when I bought it from Dell (many years ago!) and one for Total Protection (3 licences) which I bought later when I bought a second laptop (still a few years ago!).

The newer laptop only has TP activated and seems to work fine.

The older laptop had both TP and SC activated but seemed to have some "hanging" problems. I deactivated the SC, leaving TP activated on that laptop. My McAfee account overview now says the older laptop is unprotected.

My understanding is that TP does everything that SC does and more, so I only need to have TP activated. Is that right or do I need to have both products activated on my laptops?

4 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 5

Re: Do I need both Total Protection and Security Center?

Total Protection is the name of the package which in turn installs the SecurityCenter on your machine.  What branding that SecurityCenter actually carries depends where you acquired it.

The confusion may arise from Dell calling their McAfee package SecurityCenter (I assume they do as it's been years since I dealt with them).

The older machine running slower may be because older ones tend to have fewer resources.  Try running the Virtual Technician on it to see if it finds and fixes any issues   http://mvt.mcafee.com/

Also ensure it is totally up to date.

Peter.gif

Toronto ▪ Canada

Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers
How To Uninstall/Reinstall McAfee Consumer Products EXCEPT Anti-Theft
How To Submit A False Detection To McAfee
Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Removal Tools

ianfootyfan
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

Thanks Peter. I think you're confirming that I don't need to have both products activated, just Total Protection. I will run MVT as you suggest.

Cheers

Ian

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 5

If you need help with the subscriptions Customer Service is free of charge by phone or online chat and linked in the my signature above, likewise Technical Support should you need help technically.

Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 5

I would add that if you are dropping 1 product you will need to uninstall the version you are disabling and then reinstall the other 1 as they are not fully compatible to just swap licences.

Removal method in my sig below

Tony

Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)

How To Uninstall/Reinstall McAfee Consumer Products EXCEPT Anti-Theft

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community