cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shiloh
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Desktop pop ups - McAfee or phishing?

Just come off a support call with a McAfee tech support engineer - I've recently (past couple of weeks) been getting desktop pop ups supposedly from McAfee offering me GBP40 cashback on subscriptions. He seemed to think I would have seen an option to dismiss these pop ups, however, the only option I had was to click "OK" and then be taken to a McAfee promo website. Looks very much like phishing to me but I can't be sure, has anyone else suddenly started getting these?

If it's McAfee pushing these out, I'd be very surprised - surely the best way to create suspicion and worry in the consumer's mind is to start putting random pop ups on people's desktops?

5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

Re: Desktop pop ups - McAfee or phishing?

They could also be being offered by your ISP or computer maker.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 6

Another thought:  go to Control Panel > Programs and Feeatures and look for an entry called McAfee Security Scan Plus.  It's an advertising tool that downloads optionally with 3rd party products (Adobe - anything, for example).  If found uninstall it.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 6

I doubt SSP has anything to do with this. The poster says the pop-up offers "GBP40 cashback on subscriptions". That means that this has geo-location built into it, and i don't think SSP is as sophisticated as that. Now, if it were offering a US-dollar incentive, that might fit the SSP theory.

The messages may well be fake, given the absence of any way of dismissing the pop-ups, and the "McAfee page" could be a phishing page. Can't really say without knowing what the domain address is, and this is where WOT, McAfee Secure, and browser plug-ins such as "IP Address and Domain Information" come in useful.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 6

True, thanks Hayton.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 6 of 6

Jonatha Swift wrote:

Just come off a support call with a McAfee tech support engineer -

Please post back the Ticket number or Service Request number that you received from Tech Support Engineer so that I can investigate from my end.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community