Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 21 of 51

Re: Desk top icon reappears

It has already been fixed but takes time to reach all servers.  See post number 6 on the previous page.

Geode
Former Member
Message 22 of 51

654 updated today and required computer restart (warm boot).

Confirmed ICON stays deleted.

PROBLEM:  START MENU GROUP (START->PROGRAMS->MCAFEE) DOES NOT STAY DELETED!

Easily verified by:

delete Group.

launch (open) McAfee Internet Security

Update

Check for Updates

---> Group re-appears in Start Menu.

Well, you guys continue to be a class act.

Will start another thread.

Please correct me if this requires a registry hack or executable to regain control of my menu.

Geode

cedar
Former Member
Message 23 of 51

one of my 5 computers got the update and fixed it but not the my main one and the other three. Should they have all got it at once since im at the same address and same account?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 24 of 51

Geode, the Start Menu item is a known and separate issue and is being worked on.

cedar, not necessarily, they may link up with different servers therefore get the fix at different times.

DAVISinLA
Former Member
Message 25 of 51

Still appearing on mine. So annoying.

You know, I can understand a little glitch happening in complex software. But for a company that makes software that protects computers from viruses, I find it absolutely incredible (and almost unbelievable) that it has taken so long to address this issue. It makes one wonder how responsive McAfee's programmers could be if a SERIOUS problem happens.

As this is the second problem I've had from McAfee in 2 years (the first being the Windows 7 search issue which was denied then fixed in about the same time frame as this https://community.mcafee.com/message/157876#157876) if I have to reinstall software to fix it, it will not be McAfee's.

If I worked there I'd be embarrassed.

Geez.

Message was edited by: DAVISinLA on 1/25/12 5:19:38 AM PST
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 26 of 51

The icon issue appeared just before a holiday - Christmas and New Year.  The developers worked right over the holidays and found the fix, then it had to be throroughly tested, as some users had complained that McAfee weren't testing fixes properly, so they had to make sure.

It was then released but can take time to reach all 40 million eligible users as per https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-3361

If your SecurityCenter is not yet v11.0.654 you can hasten the patch by simply installing the software again over itself from your online account as per that announcement.

If you are already using 11.0.654 and still have the issue please say so as a few people seem to have been missing a key registry entry for whatever reason, which can be fixed separately.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 25/01/12 8:32:35 EST AM
DAVISinLA
Former Member
Message 27 of 51

Thanks for that information.

It appears my version is still 11.0.649 - which leads me to wonder if a new virus was discovered, how long would it take McAfee to distribute protection to everyone?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 28 of 51

Several days for the fix as per that link I posted.   It could be further delayed if people get their software via a 3rd party such as their ISP or their PC maker as they vet everything that comes through and often sit on it for a while.  But as I said, you can expedite it by installing from your account.

Antivirus updates are a separate concern and are pretty-well immediate and come in with the daily update.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 25/01/12 12:16:49 EST PM
cedar
Former Member
Message 29 of 51

yes this is way rediculus. Damn icon was on my lap top again this morning. I leave my laptop on day after day sujecint it to heat damage becasue it does not shut off hopping the update comes but never does. I am sick of this. I usually turn my lap top off when not using it but its been on now for weeks waiting getting hot. I think there needs to be a crack down on sending it out or a compensation like a free years subscription.

DAVISinLA
Former Member
Message 30 of 51

“…if a new virus was discovered, how long would it take McAfee to distribute protection to everyone?”

“Several days, as per that link I posted.”

I understand your position of supporting the company, and I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but if they can roll out a new version in “several days” in that situation, I just can’t understand why it would take over three weeks for this one.

(That's rhetorical, by the way - no answer required. )

Message was edited by: DAVISinLA on 1/25/12 8:46:06 AM PST
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community