cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blood1000
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

Default action when a detection is made?

Hello!

I am trying to configure McAfee Security Center V11. I have managed to adjust most of the settings but I am unable to find the options that control how the program deals with detections of malicious software. Where are the options for this, please? I want to control how the program reacts when a detection is made, both by the real-time scanner and any scheduled scans that run.

For example, if a scheduled scan is running and a detection is made, will the scan continue or will it pause and wait for a response. When a detection is made is there an automatic action that is taken? I want to avoid this as I wish to be able to configure the software so that it always asks the user what action should be taken - ignore and notify, block access to the file, automatically move the file to a quarantined area etc etc.

The software is installed on a Win 7 Home Prem 64bit machine.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

9 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 10

Re: Default action when a detection is made?

Win 7 SP1 I trust?   There is no way to configure that action with the consumer version of the software.  It either quarantines something or it doesn't.   In rare occurrences it may detect something as a PUP (Possibly Unwanted Program) and then it will ask you what to do but with other detections generally it either OK's it or it gets rid of it.

You can deal with detections in the Quarantine folder itself and if something is being wrongly detected there are a few guidelines on that here:  https://community.mcafee.com/thread/2016

If you feel that a feature should be added or improved upon post a suggestion here:  https://community.mcafee.com/community/home/ideas

blood1000
Former Member
Message 3 of 10

Hello, Ex_Brit, thank you for replying.

I understand what you are saying but what happens if the software incorrectly quarantines an essential system file and renders the machine unbootable?

Cheers.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 10

That shouldn't happen unless that particular system file is infected in which case perhaps something could be done in Safe Mode, just a suggestion.

Technical Support are a free phone call away in such cases.

blood1000
Former Member
Message 5 of 10

I feel this is something that is lacking in the product. I have seen way too many security packages that have been configured out of the box to automatically quarantine detections and which have wreaked havoc on systems. To come across a product where this cannot even be configured is astonishing.

I have already had to ring technical support before I was even able to begin using the product today and was given three separate incident numbers by different technicians (I was switched between them) during one call.

I'll be uninstalling this and installing security software that gives me granular control over all it's functions.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Cheers!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 10

Good luck finding what you want in a consumer product then.    I haven't seen that feature in any I've tried over recent years.  With the Internet rife with malicious entities that sort of decision making was taken out of the users' hands ages ago.

The features you want may exist in Enterprise software possibly.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 08/12/11 10:24:28 EST AM
blood1000
Former Member
Message 7 of 10

Emsisoft AntiMalware has it.

Guard > File Guard > Default Action for Detected Objects:

• Alert
  • Block and quarantine silently
  • Block, quarantine and notify.

Scheduled Scans list the detections made and allow you to choose which action you would like to apply.

You can choose to ignore detections until you have researched the detection thoroughly in case it is a false positive. Everything is logged so it is easy to trace the program's activity.

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/antimalware/

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 10

Then go with it but ignoring malware is a risky proposition.  I haven't heard much about that brand to comment about it and that discussion would be best on an independent forums anyway.

blood1000
Former Member
Message 9 of 10

I absolutely agree. However, the malware will only be ignored for the amount of time it takes to research it. Also, I am only talking about detections made in system files. It does not take long to determine whether a system file is genuine - this information is available on the web.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 10

Agreed.  As I said earlier there's a spot on these forums where you can propose changes.   Anyway, good luck.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community