Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Martman53
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Dark Web email breach details

Hi,

I received the below alert and not really sure what it refers to.

"This source has been marked as sensitive due to one of the following reasons: Revealing the source may compromise an on-going investigation. The affected site is of a controversial nature but does not validate email addresses and could therefore be used to tarnish an employee's reputation."

I can't change the account details because it won't let me and I don't know which account it is. Can someone from McAfee contact me by DM to discuss please?

6 Replies
Hari_durairaj
Message 2 of 7

Re: Dark Web email breach details

Hi @Martman53 

Greetings from McAfee.

We would like to let you know that McAfee is an ant-virus software helps to detect and remove viruses on the computer. When it comes to breaches McAfee helps to monitor your personal information in the dark web to alert you pro-actively before intruders misuse your personal data. If you have received an alert from the McAfee about breach. Please ensure which email address got breached under which website and change the password of your account.

For more information, kindly refer our below article.

Personally Identifiable Information (PII) monitored in McAfee Identity Monitoring

How to fix identity breaches

FAQ's for McAfee Identity Protection service 

Alternatively, you can always contact chat support using the link below for immediate assistance or call our helpline number 24/7 (866-622-3911) US.

McAfee Support

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.

Regards,
Hari Durairaj

Martman53
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

@Hari_durairaj "Please ensure which email address got breached under which website and change the password of your account."

As I said in my original post, there are no details as to what the site is, so I can't change the password...

Azi_Fyndeet
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Hi,

I got the same message a few hours ago and I agree I could not determine what the breech was from the info McAfee provided, i.e. which specific account had been compromised.  

I did contact McAfee by phone and after the agent investigated was informed that it was my email address password that was compromised. Like many I have several email addresses and so set about changing all the email account passwords.

A bit more detailed info on this would have helped, and also stopped me calling in.

Hari_durairaj
Message 5 of 7

Hi @Martman53 @Azi_Fyndeet 

We regret for the inconvenience!

Kindly let us know the Screen shot of the issue to assist you further

Alternatively, I have sent a private message to you, kindly revert with the required details for immediate assistance.

Regards,
Hari Durairaj

Healthysceptic
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

I also received this email today and when I rang to speak to them I got the same nonsense.

I then got told "several others have reported the same and we advise you to constantly change your passwords it's a healthy reminder from us to change the passwords regularly" 

Not helpful given then the rather foreboding nature of the message left on the breach! 

I checked the "have I been pwnd" site and no new ones have appeared there so I'd like to know what this is please!

Healthysceptic
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Hi Can you please contact me also. I'm concerned that no one has provided an answer to this. Thank you.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community