Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Razor007
Former Member
Message 1 of 25

DMSetup-serial.exe small blank window

Hello,
I have a problem with the DMSetup-serial.exe.
When I start it, there  is only a tiny blank window with ok and cancel button. When I press ok button it seems to do somethin and same window appear again.
I have found Thread about problems with installation on Windows 7. I've used MVT and MPCR, re-regiter some 2 win files. I've got McAfee installed before but I've wanted to reinstall it.

Now I can't do this. 😕

My specs : Windows 7 x64 home premium (up-to-date), IE8, Google Chrome and Firefox installed.

My Product: McAfee Totall Protection

24 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 25

Re: DMSetup-serial.exe small blank window

Hi Razor007,

Could you please open your interent explorer , click help – click About Interent explorer and let me know the following details;

IE version -
Cipher strength –

Also check if the computer is uptodate with windows update.

Regards,
DineshK
McAfee Online Comuunity Moderator

Razor007
Former Member
Message 3 of 25

Thanks for reply,

My IE8 info page says that both in x32 and x64 version I've got:

IE version - 8.0.7600.16385
Cipher strength – 256 bits

I've checked also that my computer is for sure uptodate with Windows Update.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 4 of 25

Hi Razor007,

Please try the following steps and update me on the status .

Open Internet explorer – click tools – click Internet options
Click the tab advanced and click Reset.
Run the mcafee removal tool from
here(this will remove any existing traces of mcafee products)

Restart the computer and start tapping the F8 key ,
From the advanced boot options select safe mode with networking ;

Try reinstalling the products and let me know if any issues still.

Regards,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

Razor007
Former Member
Message 5 of 25

IE reset, MCPR done. Safe mode with network on. All steps succesfull but same error at the end - Blank window with 2 buttons... (Ok/Cancel) when I run DMSetup.

Screenshot attached.

Message was edited by: Razor007 on 7/8/10 7:18:42 AM CDT
Razor007
Former Member
Message 6 of 25

Here I attach info from log file of failed installation. Anyone know what could be wrong cause I am still not able to even run installation process ?

07/25/2010 09:06:06 PM$ -- (Error)$ [    Install.exe]$ Exception in function ModuleMgr::GetHandle at line 33

while attempting to load C:\Users\Michał\AppData\Local\Temp\McInstallTemp (11)\CodeRes.dll

07/25/2010 09:06:06 PM$ -- (Error)$ [    Install.exe]$ Null pointer exception in function TextResource::LoadFromModule

Failed expression: MasterInstaller::GetModuleMgr()->GetHandle(module) at line 1128

07/25/2010 09:06:06 PM$ -- (Error)$ [    Install.exe]$ Failed expression exception in function NavMgr::CreateXslProcessor

Failed expression: stylesheet.GetText(xslt) at line 879

07/25/2010 09:06:06 PM$ -- (Error)$ [    Install.exe]$ Failed expression exception in function NavMgr::NavMgr

Failed expression: CreateXslProcessor() at line 39

07/25/2010 09:06:06 PM$ -- (Error)$ [    Install.exe]$ Failed expression exception in function NavMgr::NavMgr

Failed expression: CreateXslProcessor() at line 39

07/25/2010 09:06:06 PM$ -- (Error)$ [    Install.exe]$ COM exception in function MasterInstaller::MasterInstaller

Failed expression: NavMgr::CreateInstance(&pNavMgr, this) at line 178

HRESULT: E_FAIL

07/25/2010 09:06:06 PM$ -- (Error)$ [    Install.exe]$

Caught exception in MasterInstaller constructor.

07/25/2010 09:06:06 PM$ -- (Error)$ [    Install.exe]$ Exception in function ModuleMgr::GetHandle at line 33

while attempting to load C:\Users\Michał\AppData\Local\Temp\McInstallTemp (11)\1045\L10NRes.dll

07/25/2010 09:06:06 PM$ -- (Error)$ [    Install.exe]$ Failed expression exception in function MasterInstaller::GetWindowCaption

Failed expression: FindString(id, caption, GetOEMResDllPath(), GetL10NResDllPath()) at line 1734

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 25

Razor007 wrote:

My IE8 info page says that both in x32 and x64 version I've got:

You must use the x86 version of IE8 as your default for now.  64-bit browsers are relatively new on the scene & aren't compatible with most websites and add-ons.

This is just FYI in case you are using the 64-bit version.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 25/07/10 3:36:35 EDT PM
Razor007
Former Member
Message 8 of 25

I've been using x86 version as default when trying to install mcafee and still without effect unfortunetlly.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 25

I see, that's strange then.  Hopefully Dinesh is still subscribed to this thread as he will most likely have the solution.

Meanwhile try running the McAfee Preinstall Tool before trying that again.

Other than that all I can suggest is perhaps try using Firefox instead, although that shouldn't be necessary.

The last time I saw blank install screens was with beta versions of Internet Explorer 7 or 8 ehich I trust you aren't using.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 25/07/10 4:04:07 EDT PM
Razor007
Former Member
Message 10 of 25

I've been using Chrome, Firefox, IE8 x86 and x64 and effect is always the same... McAfee Preinstall Tool says that my PC is ok to install McAfee apps but this still doesn't resolve anything. What I can add is that on my second PC (Windows 7 x64 Professional) and my girlfriend's notebook (Windows 7 x64 Professional) everything is ok with the same McAfee product so maybe there is some problem with the version of my OS - Windows 7 x64 Home Premium on my notebook where my problem appears... dunno

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community