Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
k5ing
Contributor II
Message 1 of 21

DAT won't update

Jump to solution

For the past several days, my McAfee antivirus won't update.  I've run MVT and it says the DAT won't (can't) update.  My current DAT is 6264 and it says that it's expecting 6271.  I've also run SuperAntiSpyware but it hasn't worked. 

When trying to update manually, it seems that it will download all right, but it won't install.  In searching for similar problems on here, it sounds very much like what happened about a year ago. 

I read the advice about uninstalling, removing, downloading and reinstalling McAfee, but with this being an older XT machine, I don't want to spend a half a day messing with it if it's a known problem, like last year's issue.  Any insight would be appreciated. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
k5ing
Contributor II
Message 8 of 21

Re: DAT won't update

Jump to solution

As I said before, the download goes just fine.  It was at the installation phase that it hung up. 

In any case, I just contacted the customer service chat service, and they reinstalled the software, and it seems to be working all right now.  I just didn't want to go through the uninstalling-removal-reinstalling stuff if there was a known problem with the update out there.  I can't tell you how many times I've spent all day fixing something only to find out that it wasn't on my end. 

Anyway, it's taken care of now, so I guess we can call this solved. 

Thanks to all for all the help and suggestions.

View solution in original post

20 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 21

Jump to solution

XT..?  What operating system and service pack is this?   I wasn't aware that McAfee would even run on an old IBM XT machine, if that is what I think it is.

That said it is possible to update manually here:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2155

If you mean XP then I need to know if that is XP SP3 or not and how much spare hard drive space and memory are installed.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 02/03/11 11:39:44 EST AM
k5ing
Contributor II
Message 3 of 21

DAT won't update

Jump to solution

Ex_Brit wrote:

XT..?  What operating system and service pack is this?   I wasn't aware that McAfee would even run on an old IBM XT machine, if that is what I think it is.

That said it is possible to update manually here:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2155

If you mean XP then I need to know if that is XP SP3 or not and how much spare hard drive space and memory are installed.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 02/03/11 11:39:44 EST AM

Sorry about that.  Call it a Freudian slip.  This old desktop is so slow and clunky that it seems like it's an XT sometimes. 

Yes, Windows XP, Service Pack 3, 41.9 gig free on hard drive, 1 gig memory (see MTV image). 

I've been running McAfee for the last couple of years, and aside from it slowing things down, it's never given me problems until now.  Like I said, I don't want to go messing with lots of stuff if there is a known issue out there.  MTVinfo.JPG

Thanks for the help,

Jeff

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 21

DAT won't update

Jump to solution

LOL well that looks a bit better I must say...!   How are you connecting to the internet and do you have any other connection issues?  You might also want to check the system clock for accuracy time and timezone-wise.

Did you try the manual update I suggested, that might kick things into gear again.

k5ing
Contributor II
Message 5 of 21

Jump to solution

Ex_Brit wrote:

LOL well that looks a bit better I must say...!   How are you connecting to the internet and do you have any other connection issues?  You might also want to check the system clock for accuracy time and timezone-wise.

Did you try the manual update I suggested, that might kick things into gear again.

I don't think the connection is the problem.  I'm on a DSL line at 3meg down.  I should also add that my laptop, running Vista through a wireless router, is updating just fine.  My updates download all right, but it says "installation error" when it tries to install it.  My system clock is right on the money. 

I downloaded the manual update you mentioned, but it says it's for Intel (mine is AMD).  It also says that it's version 6273 while my MTV says it's expecting 6272.  After looking at the 'read me' text, I'm wondering if it would be easier to just switch to AGV or something...LOL!  MVT2.JPG

Message was edited by: k5ing on 3/2/11 2:17:06 PM CST
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 21

Jump to solution

Best contact Technical Support Chat via the link under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 7 of 21

Jump to solution

Basically you should start the setup and select the repair options.Also check which repository you are trying to download from.do you have firewall proxy??

in command line try to telnet update.nai.com on port 80 and ftp.nai.com on port 21

Message was edited by: alexander_h on 3/4/11 12:49:06 PM CST
k5ing
Contributor II
Message 8 of 21

Jump to solution

As I said before, the download goes just fine.  It was at the installation phase that it hung up. 

In any case, I just contacted the customer service chat service, and they reinstalled the software, and it seems to be working all right now.  I just didn't want to go through the uninstalling-removal-reinstalling stuff if there was a known problem with the update out there.  I can't tell you how many times I've spent all day fixing something only to find out that it wasn't on my end. 

Anyway, it's taken care of now, so I guess we can call this solved. 

Thanks to all for all the help and suggestions.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 21

Jump to solution

Glad you are OK now. 😉

redwood
Contributor
Message 10 of 21

DAT won't update

Jump to solution

I wrote in previously about a box that kept appearing a few times every day telling me:   Update Error   An error occurred while updating.  Please reinstall these programs  McAfee Antivirus Plus Elite Edition. ( My question was, does anyone else have this problem?) 

In most cases there was no problem at the site (green Protected), but I clicked update anyway.  Watched the red arrow circle.  Nothing. Now I suspect that as said above, download but no installation.   Someone attempted to answer me, but at the time I was going quietly insane battling a bad virus - hope now it is gone, so taking another look at this update problem.  I'm not sure that going to another McAfee page will make a difference - so I guess I will go thru the long process of contacting by phone or chat a real person.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community