cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ronv
Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Critical conflict between McAfee Total Protection process MFEVTPS.EXE and Quickbooks 2017

Jump to solution

I just got off a chat with McAfee support and they acknowledged an existing critical issue with the current (as of 8/15/2018) version of McAfee and Quickbooks 2017.  The problem is when you start QB the McAfee process MFEVTPS.EXE uses virtually all cpu resources rendering the PC unusable and requiring the reboot of the PC.  Since this critically affects businesses using QB I asked if they could pull the defective version and post the prior version till this issue is resolved.  They declined stating that people could either wait for the fix, upgrade to QB2018, or uninstall McAfee and use Windows security.  I need to access QB for my business so I'm going to uninstall McAfee and install Norton till this is fixed. It took me about 2 days to figure out what the issue was, so I'm hoping this post will help people who are having this issue.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sanjay
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 18 of 18

Re: Critical conflict between McAfee Total Protection process MFEVTPS.EXE and Quickbooks 2017

Jump to solution

Locking this thread as the fix is included in McAfee security version 16.0 where the VirusScan version is 21.4.145

Follow steps outlined below to obtain the referenced build

https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/oracle/webcenter/page/scopedMD/s55728c97_466d_4ddb_952d_...

Cheers

Sanjay S

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.

View solution in original post

17 Replies
pjhunter
Contributor
Message 2 of 18

Re: Critical conflict between McAfee Total Protection process MFEVTPS.EXE and Quickbooks 2017

Jump to solution

Had same experience.  Got several call-backs from they support center in China stating that their engineers are working on a fix. But it's been over a week in my case, and have heard nothing more.

I ended up installing QB 2017 on an isolated computer where I had removed McAfee.  I migrated my 2 company files to that computer and  now I remote into it from my primary workstation (using Teamviewer 13). Its an OK solution, but I wish they would get the underlying issue fixed.

Brn
Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Jump to solution

Same here... Not much to do but uninstall

chillybrit
Contributor
Message 4 of 18

Jump to solution

Got lucky with the support call in finding a workaround - he was very helpful and remote installed the 16.0.R13 release (problem one is 16.0.R14). We then disabled automatic updates so the exe is not upgraded.  Took about 45 minutes

Obvously this puts me at a slight risk in the short term as I'm not getting virus updates as well as program updates, but it gets me past the problem of not being able to do my year-end work in Quickbooks.

I have a laptop too, which fortunately still has the R13 release and has had updates suspended, so if it takes more than another week or so, I'll have to investigate letting some of the updates through on my workstation and just do QB work on the laptop. Hopefully it will be obvious which are virus catalog updates and which are program updates?  

Ultimately though, if this problem isn't fixed within a month, I may be looking elsewhere for virus protection.

sanjay
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 5 of 18

Jump to solution

Hi All

McAfee is aware of this and is working towards a solution. See article TS102842 for more details.

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
chillybrit
Contributor
Message 6 of 18

Jump to solution

Thanks Sanjay

The workaround states to update the version of McAfee.  I currently have it downgraded to R13 (by McAfee support desk)

Really, until someone confirms that the version that the update will (re)apply is not R14, that is just going to make my PC, and Quickbooks unusable again .

And I'm certainly not going to spend $300 upgrading Quickbooks when my version is only a year old. A Norton license will be cheaper

So the workaround as stated is pretty useless

Please 

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 7 of 18

Jump to solution

Hello @chillybrit

We understand the concern and McAfee is actively working on getting this issue resolved. We should have an update on this pretty soon and once we have it, I will have this thread updated with the same.

Thank you for your time and patience. 

Regards
Farhan

chillybrit
Contributor
Message 8 of 18

Jump to solution

Thanks

cluers
Contributor
Message 9 of 18

Jump to solution

Any updates on this?  I'm having the same issue...

pjhunter
Contributor
Message 10 of 18

Jump to solution

Reallly, McAfee,  this issue has been going on for over a month with no resolution, except to recommend that we upgrade to Quickbooks 2018.  Personally, I only upgrade QB every 2 years and I'm not due until QB 2019 comes out.  I'm unwilling to upgrade early just to workaround a problem you created.

My workaround has been to move QB to another machine where I un-installed McAfee, and then remote in to that machine to do my accounting work.  It's a pain, but it works.  

Level 2 support dutifully reports every week or so that their engineers are "working on a solution".  I myself am a programmer, and I cannot fathom a problem that couldn't be solved in a couple of days of dedicated effort.  Something is just not adding up.

This whole experience is leaving a very bad taste in my mouth regarding McAfee.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community