cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FlyingCapt
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

Computer at Risk Notification

The McAfee icon on the task bar is grey with red exclamation mark. McAfee Total Protection shows Updates are Available.  Updates are checked and McAfee reports updates are current.  However, the icon on the task bar remains the same, indicating computer is at risk, with updates available. Running Windows Vista Home Premium on laptop with MTP, active subscription, real-time scanning and firewall on.

Why does McAfee continue to indicate the Comuter is at Risk??

6 Replies
JaiPrakash
Former Member
Message 2 of 7

Re: Computer at Risk Notification

Hi,

Try to run McAfee Virtual Technician (MVT) this is an automated self-healing tool that can diagnose and fix many problems related to your McAfee product. You can download and run McAfee Virtual Technician (MVT) from mvt.mcafee.com

Also, Please update us with the following details:-

Version of installed McAfee Product:

(Navigation: Open McAfee product > Click about on the top right)

• McAfee Security Center:
  • McAfee Virus Scan:

DAT version:

• McAfee Personal Firewall:
FlyingCapt
Former Member
Message 3 of 7

Hi Jai,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I have run MVT twice now and both times, it reports No Problems Found (I.D. 35173199 & 35179804).

McAfee Sevice Center Ver. 11.0, BUILD 11.0.572, Last Update 6/12/2011

McAfee Virus Scan Ver. 15.0, Build 15.0.291, DAT Ver. 6464, Dat Creation Date 9/9/2011, Boot DAT Ver. 6432.0000, Boot Creation Date 8/8/2011, Engine Ver. 5400.1158

McAfee Personal Firewall  Ver. 12.0, Build 12.0.338, Last Update 9/8/2011

Regards,

Steve

FlyingCapt
Former Member
Message 4 of 7

Something else . . . Just checked for updates, and McAfee states that updates are current. Then I turned off Automatic Updates.  I checked for updates manually, and again McAfee reported they are current.  Then I reset the program for Automatic Updates, and clicked Done.  McAfee then reported that it could not update my software -- that I should check my internet connection, and, if the problem persisted, to contact Technical Support.

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with my DSL internet connection -- I am using it now, and I can explore the web and get my email. 

Steve

JaiPrakash
Former Member
Message 5 of 7

Hi Steve,

For some reason the DAT file is not getting updated, please click the link below to download TS100491.bat to resolve the issue:

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/TS100491.bat

1. Save the file to your desktop.
  2. Restart the computer in Safe Mode (select the F8 key during a restart and choose Safe Mode).
  3. After the computer has started in Safe Mode, right-click TS100491.bat and select Run as administrator that should run the tool.
  4. Restart the computer and start doing a manual update, which should resolve the issue.
FlyingCapt
Former Member
Message 6 of 7

Hi Jai,

Clicking on the suggested link above gave an internet page with the following message:

@ECHO OFF

REM REGISTRY EDITS FOR TS100491

REG ADD "HKU\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v GlobalUserOffline /t REG_DWORD /d 0x0 /f

:END
ECHO Please restart the computer
PAUSE
EXIT

Hence, there was no opportunity to save the .bat file, or run it in the Safe mode. 

However, on rebooting the computer, McAfee did finally update the files; and, at the moment, everything seems to be working fine.

Many thanks for your assistance. Have (a.k.a., make) a great day.

Steve

JaiPrakash
Former Member
Message 7 of 7

Glad that you are OK now , cheers

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community