cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JimmyJames001
Contributor III
Message 1 of 23

Complaint: Win-10 Microsoft Updates Continue To Disable The McAfee LiveSafe Application

Jump to solution

Why Does Microsoft Continue To Remove/Deactivate McAfee LiveSafe Anti-Virus Protection Software After MS-Updates For Windows-10 ?

Again, (2023-06-09, 2023-06-14, & 2023-07-12), Microsoft removed (now for a 3rd time) [McAfee LiveSafe] after the 2023-07-12 Updates (KB890830, KB5028166 – not sure which one). Each time w/in the past couple of months, I had to remove (w/ a McAfee software removal tool) & reinstall McAfee LiveSafe – each time w/ a new “serial-number”. Although when you go into Win-10 [Virus & Threat Protection], McAfee is shown to be active, you can no longer activate the application via the shortcut. Also the executable & its folder ("C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Platform\McUICnt.exe") have been removed, & thus it leaves the McAfee user w/ no control over the software, including the VPN, running a quick or a full scan, scheduling a scan, running any of the other tools, etc. So for all practical purposes, the software has been removed. Why does this continue to happen? & When will this issue be resolved?

McAfee support has not been able to provide me w/ any answers. The 1st time I asked to speak w/ a manager, I was told that yes, McAfee is working this out w/ Microsoft, so I was given either an excuse or a runaround. Microsoft denied this was the case. When I asked to speak w/ a manager this last time, I was told I was going to get a call w/in 1 hour, & 5 hours later, I have not yet received a call.

I contacted McAfee this 3rd time w/ this exact same issue, via the support-chat, only to report the incident w/ McAfee, not really to get technical support, but for whatever reason, they are not interested. The support agents tell me to take this issue directly w/ Microsoft.

Well, as a McAfee user, I should only need to report this to McAfee, & they should resolve this issue w/ Microsoft. Why should I ? There is absolutely nothing I can do. Only their software teams can resolve this issue.

This is very disturbing, every single time Win-10 MS-Updates get inserted into your computer, to have to remove McAfee w/ their "Software Removal Tool" & then re-install a new version of McAfee w/ a new serial number.

Why isn't anyone seem to be interested in resolving this issue ?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JimmyJames001
Contributor III
Message 17 of 23

Re: Complaint: Win-10 Microsoft Updates Continue To Disable The McAfee LiveSafe Application

Jump to solution

Yeah, it never got resolved by neither party, & Microsoft (MS) Windows Defender (WD) continued to take over. So MS claims that WD is capable of providing virus protection (out of the box), & that's why it takes over, while disabling McAfee due to some issue they are not disclosing. I had no choice but to request a refund, for which they had automatically charged me a month in advance, before the expiration of my previous subscription. They didn't want to refund the full amount making an unsubstantiated claim about the subscription was already in effect, when in fact should have not started until my previous & current subscription had expired. I had to fight w/ them, while they were giving me an unending runaround. So it wasn't until I let them know that they were in breach of contract because their product no longer worked when they decided to finally give me my full refund, which they should have given me anyways, since they had just automatically charged me in advance. Right now I'm only using MS Windows Defender & I might add some additional support from AVG & perhaps MalwareBytes, which I have used before. But my Laptop is now running slimmer & faster, & no longer hogs the HD or runs hot for too long. Hope you can satisfactorily resolve your issue.

View solution in original post

22 Replies
Nagesh_G
Message 2 of 23

Re: Complaint: Win-10 Microsoft Updates Continue To Disable The McAfee LiveSafe Application

Jump to solution

Hi @JimmyJames001 ,

We sincerely regret the inconvenience caused, I have sent a personal message. Kindly revert back with the requested details to assist you further.

Thanks,
Nagesh G

JimmyJames001
Contributor III
Message 3 of 23

Jump to solution

Nagesh, I was already contacted by the manger, by phone, & he is going to follow up to see that the problem is resolved. When the problem is resolved I'll close this issue, otherwise we could be jumping too soon into a conclusion. Thank you.

JimmyJames001
Contributor III
Message 4 of 23

Jump to solution

2023-08-09 - Again, Microsoft Removed/Deactivated McAfee LiveSafe Anti-Virus Protection Software After MS-Updates For Windows-10

- At least the 4th time this year, this has happened, (2023-06-09, 2023-06-14, 2023-07-12, 2023-08-09), Microsoft removed (now for a 4th time) [McAfee LiveSafe]

- The culprit appears to be, the 2023-08-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5029244), as the 2023-08-08 Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - v5.116 (KB890830) was automatically installed by MS the day before, & I checked to make sure [McAfee LiveSafe], was still accessible, before allowing for the Cumulative Windows Update

- The Support agent I spoke w/ told me that McAfee is working to resolve this problem, but no date was given, as to when to expect a resolution. But to just patiently wait.

- The previous time, I requested to speak w/ a manager, who called me later that day, & he told me that this issue was going to get resolved, & that it wouldn't happen again. I didn't want to close the issue, & I will not close this issue, until I can verify it has been resolved.

- The "McAfee\Platform" folders has been removed from "C:\Program Files\Common Files"
- The "McAfee LiveSafe" app has been removed from "Show Hidden Icons" at the bottom right of the "Windows 10" taskbar.
- The "McAfee" app shortcut pinned to the taskbar no longer brings up the McAfee App
- Only "McAfee Framework Host Service" & "McAfee Neo Component Host" are running on the "Task Manager"
- Win-10 "Virus & Threat Protection" shows that McAfee is "Turned ON", however when you click on the [Open App], nothings happens
- So the end result is, you can't open the "McAfee LiveSafe" app, & thus you can't run any scans, schedule scans, scan a file or executable download, run your VPN, & the ability to control your paid virus protection software (VPS), are all gone. You can't even tell if your VPS is actually doing anything,...

Jaw96789
Contributor
Message 5 of 23

Jump to solution

I just figured out I have the same problem as Microsoft update which I let run over this weekend, has removed my ability to open my subscription and I no longer have the icon on my taskbar, and tray.   My subscription runs until the next renewal in 1/28/24 but I can't run any scans or open McAfee at all. 

Noting the first question it appears I'll have to figure out how to remove the non-functioning McAfee first and then reinstall a new copy of it. which I hope it doesn't try to make me re-purchase it!  The problem is I'm really not tech savvy so I just hope there are some very easy to understand instructions on this removal and re-install. 

Interestingly My Samsung phone still runs McAfee very nicely  so I know it's got nothing to do with my paid subscription.  Clearly it's this stupid MS update that fouled everything.

Any words from the wise is greatly appreciated.   Thank you.

UPDATE:  9/1/2023 After freaking out about this problem for this past week and wishing I wouldn't have to uninstall and re-install a new copy of the whole program, for some reason I found the icon was once again on my taskbar and hidden icons lower right screen. 

The icon actually opens the program now and I can manually scan as needed. This is a great relief because I could only think that I would be jammed up having the functioning copy on my Samsung phone and then would have more issues if I had to reinstall a new copy on my desktop computer as now the numbers would no longer match.

Still if this is a problem in the future, I am still concerned it will happen again as the aforementioned complaint was stating.  Please address this as it's maddening to have the program disappear.

JimmyJames001
Contributor III
Message 6 of 23

Jump to solution

I am surprised you were able to use the shortcut again. I haven't been so lucky. After every Microsoft update now, my McAfee LifeSafe application gets completely disabled, & you can no longer do anything w/ McAfee - although there are obviously remains of their software left behind. These are my notes on what to do when this happens again. As a matter of fact, I just did it again today, just a couple of hours ago.

When Microsoft Disables McAfee LiveSafe,...
___ download McAfee LiveSafe (or whatever) - you'll be given a new Serial-Number
___ download McAfee Removal Tool - MCPR.exe (even if you already have it)
___ attempt to use Microsoft to "Uninstall" McAfee
        ___ via Programs & Features, Apps & Features, or Add & Remove Programs
        ___ uninstall & remove McAfee
___ run the McAfee Removal Tool - MCPR.exe (regardless - will remove remnants)
___ restart the computer
___ install McAfee LiveSafe (or whatever)

Download - McAfee Removal Tool - MCPR.exe
https://www.mcafee.com/support/?articleId=TS101331&page=shell&shell=article-view
https://download.mcafee.com/molbin/iss-loc/SupportTools/MCPR/MCPR.exe

Download - McAfee LifeSafe - Antivirus Software & Internet Security
https://home.mcafee.com/Downloads/SmartDownload.aspx

SixStrRzr
Contributor II
Message 7 of 23

Jump to solution

Happening to me,too. Aug &Sep 2023. Frustrating to have to call McAfee Tech Support and have them reinstall- takes min 1 hour on phone.  

JimmyJames001
Contributor III
Message 8 of 23

Jump to solution

Yeah,... I hear you & I feel your pain. I've gone through this exact same very disturbing trouble numerous times. I have another Microsoft update currently on hold, since I know that as soon as it gets done, I'm going to have to go through this entire thing again. McAfee just charged me for the next year's subscription, a month in advance. At this point I am seriously considering dropping McAfee altogether, since they haven't really resolved the issue, as they promised me several times. But to give them be benefit of the doubt, I'm going to have to go through w/ this next MS update & see what happens.

Ucandomagic
Contributor
Message 9 of 23

Jump to solution

It really is quite ridiculous how long this has gone on.  I have just found this thread, but have had the same problem for months.  Windows Security/Defender and McAfee LiveSafe are like 2 children that can't play with each other.  When it's running OK I have McAfee virus protection running and both firewalls up and all runs smoothly.  Windows has removed the ability to restrict their virus protection by making it almost impossible to get to turn Tamper Protection off.  You can disable AntiSpyWare through regedit - but even that seems to be temporary. 

When Security/Defender comes back in an update, it takes away access to the McAfee desktop - which surely must be an illegal practice. 

We pay enough money to McAfee for them to get in a room with Microsoft security people and sort this out once and for all.

JimmyJames001
Contributor III
Message 10 of 23

Jump to solution

Same here. In the latest MS Update they disabled/deactivated my McAfee LiveSafe app, again, except this time,
- The "McAfee LiveSafe" app has been removed from "Show Hidden Icons" at the bottom right of the "Windows 10" taskbar (as before).
- The WPS McAfee update "C:\Program Files\McAfee\WPS\mc-launch.exe" does not appear to have been removed, but running it "does nothing".
   - As a result, the "McAfee LiveSafe" app is no longer accessible, no longer comes up, & thus you can no longer
      - run any scans
      - schedule scans
      - scan a file or executable download
      - run your VPN, &
      - the ability to control your paid "Virus Protection Software" (VPS), are all gone
      - You can't even tell if your VPS is actually doing anything,...
- However, when you go into MS Settings [Virus & Threat Protection] it shows McAfee as
   - Current Threats - No Actions Needed
   - Protection Settigns - No Actions Needed
   - Protection Updates - No Actions Needed
   - & when you click on [Open App], again, "nothing happens", "nothing runs", & thus
      - the "McAfee LiveSafe" app is no longer accessible,...

So, I'm going to have to again, get on the phone w/ McAfee, request to speak w/ a manager & see what they tell me this time around.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community