Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jlcavor
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

Cisco AnyConnect VPN Issues

Jump to solution

I can't make a VPN connection with the latest Cisco AnyConnect Client version 3.0.2052. I have heard that there can be issues with the McAfee Antivirus Plus software that can cause this to happen. Has anyone had a similar problem and if so what recommendations do your have to resolve the the issue.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jlcavor
Former Member
Message 6 of 8

Re: Cisco AnyConnect VPN Issues

Jump to solution

The problem is solved. I uninstalled the Cisco VPN client, then uninstalled McAfee, then reinstalled the VPN client, then reinstalled McAfee. Now the VPN client works as it should.

Message was edited by: jlcavor on 6/21/11 6:05:01 PM PDT

View solution in original post

7 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 8

Jump to solution
jlcavor
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

Jump to solution

Thanks for the tip. I tried it, but is seems the VPN server is smart enough that it randomly configures my VPN adaptor. I cannot see any pattern in the IP and DNS entries it comes up with from one log-on attempt to the next.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

Then I'm stumped as the only other references I see are all to do with Enterprise products, of which I know nothing, and all I can find on the internet is one reference stating to uninstall and reinstall McAfee, but the result was never reported so I can't guarantee that working.

Perhaps you should contact Technical Support Chat  (Useful Links at top of this page).

Dinz
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

Jump to solution

Hi jlcavor,

Could you please let us know if there arises any specific error messages while connecting to your VPN client.

Also, let us know the below details ;

What is the version of McAfee Personal Firewall ?

Since when are you facing the connection issues ? Is it after any McAfee update ?

Thanks,

jlcavor
Former Member
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

The problem is solved. I uninstalled the Cisco VPN client, then uninstalled McAfee, then reinstalled the VPN client, then reinstalled McAfee. Now the VPN client works as it should.

Message was edited by: jlcavor on 6/21/11 6:05:01 PM PDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

Glad you found a solution, sorry we didn't.

sam_76
Former Member
Message 8 of 8

Jump to solution

Hi everybody,

for your information, Cisco has notified this bug, number:  CSCti16453

You can read:

AnyConnect cannot connect when installed after McAfee Internet Security

Symptom:

If installed after 3rd party personal firewall/AV product, AnyConnect will fail to connect. EventViewer will report inability to change the interface name for virtual adapter.

Conditions:

If installed after 3rd party personal firewall/AV product, AnyConnect will fail to connect

Workaround:

Disable all the features of personal firewall/AV, make a small change on AnyConnect virtual adapter and connect.

Further problem description

The AnyConnect virtual adapter (VA) driver is not properly installed due to the McAfee Internet Security self-protection mechanism denying certain registry operations. The McAfee log file McSvHost000.log includes multiple entries resembling the following:

(Information)$ [ naiann.dll]$ NewInfection [AnnounceType: BBRuleViolation][ThreadID: 3452][WinStationID: 0][EventID: 1092][Action: 3][Location: \REGISTRY\MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\mfendisk\Parameters\Adapters\NdisWanIp\UpperBindings][Process C:\Program Files\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client\VACon.exe][Rule: G_060_CommonOn:Prevent modification of McAfee files and settings]

(Note that the UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices Windows API, used to install the driver does not return an error, therefore AnyConnect assumes successful installation.)

As a result, even after enabling the VA via the Device Manager Management Console (devmgmt.msc), the virtual adapter is not listed by the Windows ipconfig command. Similarly, vpnagent fails to identify the VA connection name (due to the GetAdaptersAddresses native API not returning the AnyConnect virtual adapter) leading to the VPN connection failure.

Note that the VA installation works fine with McAfee VirusScan Enterprise installed. The problem only happens if the AnyConnect installation is performed with McAfee Internet Security installed.

Now my question:

does Mcafee will resolve this problem?

I have, in my university, some users that uses McAfee Internet Security. And when we're upgrading the client Anyconnect, McAfee Internet security denies certain registry operations and the Anyconnect VPN client is not correctly installed.  After, the solution is the same that solution of jlcavor, we must uninstall the Cisco VPN client, then uninstalled McAfee, then reinstalled the VPN client, then reinstalled McAfee.

Thank you for your respond

Best regards

Sam

Ce message a été modifié par: sam_76 on 26/08/11 08:46:36 CDT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community