cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tortfesor
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

Cannot start in Safe Mode after 5958 Debacle

I'm running XP Pro SP3, and like all of you, have an issue.  Can't access McAfee or IE.  I copied the fix from another PC onto a disc and copied it onto my desktop.  After numerous tries, I cannot get into Safe Mode (even with networking and command prompt) as it hangs on a black screen.  Also, the restart and turn off buttons no longer work, so I can only hold the power button in to reboot.  I was able to expand the fix from the desktop, but it has done nothing.  I have also used the command line to copy the svchost.exe file manually and seem to have do so (on other occasions it says the file is in use), and deleted the DAT folder manually, but again, no change.  OK, what to do now?  I spent a long time with DeePak from tech support last night, and was promised a call from Tier 2 support early this morning which never came.  I called the tech support number in the fix and have been waiting for about 100 minutes.  Service Request No. 492269312.  Help!

(sent from my wife's Mac)

5 Replies
Tortfesor
Former Member
Message 2 of 6

Re: Cannot start in Safe Mode after 5958 Debacle

So, someone supposedly from tier 2 support (Smikesh) sent me an e-mail telling me to follow the same procedure already set forth publically in multiple places to "fix" the problem, which did NOT work for me.  After a return e-mail to him saying such did NOT work, still I await a response.  Meanwhile, my PC sits basically useless.  I expect more from McAfee.  Very disappointing and sad.

Tortfesor
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

Just a posting of the recent history.  I still need help, so if anyone has any ideas . . .

I sent an email through the customer service tech support site and received back this acknowledgment.

-     Service Request #: 492269312
-     Created Date: 04/22/2010 21:57:27
-     Description: My Win XP SP3 PC can no longer open IE or McAfee. I used the SDAT5958_EM,exe fix file, but it did nothing. Help.

Later came the same instructions posted all over about the fix.  I told them that I cannot get into safe mode, but did every other step to no resolve, I get the same response.

Now this is becoming a sad joke.  What don't these guys understand about my not being able to start in safe mode?

Me to them:

Hello.

The PC is unable to boot into safe mode (any format) as I get a black screen that hangs. Re-start and turn off buttons do not work so I must hard boot by power button. Otherwise, I've done the steps set forth, but has not helped. McAfee and IE do not open.

Help!

Jeff

Response:

Hi Jeff,

This is Smikesh from McAfee Support with a follow-up documented under the service request 484570-492269312.

This issue is doe to the  faulty update was quickly removed from all McAfee download servers, preventing any further impact. Our research team has already launched a fix for the same. We have also worked swiftly and released an updated virus definition file (5959) within hours and will be providing our customers detailed assistance on how to repair any impacted systems.

Jeff, I totally understand you frustration and I do apologize for the inconvenience caused. I will certainly help you to resolve the issue today.

I understand business requirements and the importance of having all units in working condition.

Please follow the steps.

Step 1:

1. From a working computer, download http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/tools/SDAT5958_EM.exe and save it to a removable media (eg: Thumb Drive, CDROM).

2. Start the affected computer in Safe Mode (When booting, press F8 and choose Safe Mode).

3. Copy the SDAT5958_EM.EXE file to your desktop.

4. Run the SDAT5958_EM.EXE tool.

5. Open My Computer and navigate to C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan.

6. Delete the DAT folder.

7. Restart the computer normally.

8. After the computer restarts, right-click the M icon and manually check for an update to get the new DAT files.

Thanks and Regards,

Smikesh

McAfee System Support

I've done all but safe mode and still my PC is basically dead.  So now I reach out to all of you and any other McAfee techs reading this.

HELP!

Tortfesor
Former Member
Message 4 of 6

Hello all:

McAfee is no longer responding to me at all.  Apparently they do not care that they've destroyed my PC.  Can anyone else help me?

Thanks,

Jeff

bengaile
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

So -has your problem been resolved?? 

McAfee has had no problem sending me email messages to renew my subscription and to tell me my billing address has been updated, but cannot send me a message outlining their intention to pay for my repairs and/or what is the proper fix!  McAfee could have saved all of us a lot of headache had they been proactive by emailing me/us as soon as they knew there was an issue.

My Mac computers are absolutely running perfectly, but my two laptops with Windows XP are destroyed.   My Kodak scanner only works with my Lenovo/XP computers which I need to have up and running this week.

Any suggestions, people?

Gaile

newjack
Former Member
Message 6 of 6

What happens with a lot of large companies is they don`t want to take the blame if it`s only a few customers.But after finding out it`s a mistake of epic proportions,you almost have no choice but to make an announcement.You can find this on youtube.But who and what determins who will be reimbersed?Only time will tell.I find this pretty interesting as i lost an xp last year with Mcafee insatalled.I don`t want to get into specifics at this time.Also not 100% sure what or who what was at fault.But never the less makes me wonder.Although i have kept my trust in mcafee and after buying a new computer antied up for 2 more years.I have stayed on board.I have seen a post that had a link in it about this topic.I will see if i can find it.Don`t know what it says.

good luck

I found this it`s pretty lengthy but start at this page here

http://community.mcafee.com/message/126902#126902

Message was edited by: newjack on 5/8/10 1:22:08 PM EDT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community