Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rpsniderman
Former Member
Message 1 of 19

Cannot install McAfee Internet Security on Windows 7

Jump to solution

Hi -

I have McAfee Internet Security (4 licenses) with an expiry of Feb 7 2014.

I have the most recent software nstalled on 3 machines - 2 are Windows 7, 1 is Windows 8.

Today I have struggled for hours and cannot get it installed on a 4th machine, this one also running Windows 7.

The steps I have followed:

- used MCPR to remove McAfee with no problems reported & then rebooted

- ran the McAfee pre-Install tool with no problems reports

- logged into My Account and downloaded & then executed McAfeeSetup.exe

- as was the case in the 3 other installations, a window came up informing me that the installation was checking my PC for Threats

- after about 5 seconds that window disappeared & the following appeared:

mcafee.jpg

Nothing further happened. Although the "Label" buttons and the Window close "X", appeared to be clickable, they were not. From this point the installation was frozen.

I either had to kill the Install process from Task Manager or Reboot.

I have repeated these steps a number of times  with the same results each time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks. Richard.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rpsniderman
Former Member
Message 17 of 19

Re: Cannot install McAfee Internet Security on Windows 7

Jump to solution

Having initiated this thread over a year ago, I revisited it on Friday.

The solution I used was to do the installation from the "Administrator" account.

To do this you first have to enable the Adminstrator account i.e. make it visible from the login screen:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the-hidden-administrator-acc ount-on-windows-vis...

Then Log into the account from the login screen - by default it has no password.

The McAfee install will now work and the "label label" problem does not occur.

Note - there might be a way to do this in fewer steps but once I got it to work by the above method I stopped investigating.

Richard.

View solution in original post

18 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 19

Jump to solution

The 7 is SP1 I assume.     Not too sure about this.  It has been reported before and was never solved.  McAfee uses IE for display purposes so check that IE is v9 in the Windows 7 machine and make sure Java is enabled.  There is a threat curculating at the moment that exploits Java so it's possible it;s been disabled.  Also make sure that there is an active Internet connection all during the process.

The other thought is that this may be related to the jscript corruption effecting some machines and solution number 1 in the 'Blank' link in my signature below may help.   In that case the corruption resulted in only the McAfee logo showiung and no buttons at all, but you never know it may be connected.

I'll continue my search for this issue.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/01/13 7:00:49 EST PM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 19

Jump to solution

More thoughts.

Are you logged in as a user with Adminstrator rights?  You have to be to install software.  But I'm sure you already knew that.

Also make sure that Windows is totally up to date and that Activex is at default settings.   (Click Reset in IE > Tools/ Internet Options > Advanced)

rpsniderman
Former Member
Message 4 of 19

Jump to solution

Peter -

First - you're fantastic. 🙂 This is my 1st exprience on this forum & I had *no* expectations. Even so. *40* minutes after my posting, you responded.

This exceeded my expectations exponentially. 🙂  I manage a Tier3 support team for a complex Telco software product so I understand customer support.

That's the good news. 🙂 I can confrim everything you suggested. I ran the script in your Solution #1, etc. etc. I *had* been lazy with this particular system

and had never bothered installing SP1. But based on your response I thought it would be best to do it now. So everything is as you suggested, and

yet, the same results.

Just curious - is the screen-shot I included in my original question something that you've seen before?

Regards. Richard.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 19

Jump to solution

No SP1?   Good idea to install now as Windows 7 Gold (no SP's) is no longer supported by McAfee or Microsoft for that matter.

I think you'll find a whole flood of security patches available in Windows Update once that's installed.

Here are some tips:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2205

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/01/13 9:37:32 EST PM
Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 19

Jump to solution

Peter offline  so I will answer. Re your question I have not personally seen this but seen several posts re this happening. As far as I remember we suggested best to contact either Technical support or customer service(as it is aan installation issue). Both these links in useful links tab above. If they cannot help post back with the SR job number.

If tier 1 cannot assist you can request they escalate the issue and get a Tier2 call back.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 19

Jump to solution

Thanks Tony.   BTW I never answered the question as to whether I'd seen that before.  Yes, once with the word label but usually the window is blank apart from the McAfee logo.  Maybe they aren't related.

Possibly has more to do with the fact that 7 wasn't up to date.

rpsniderman
Former Member
Message 8 of 19

Jump to solution

Hi Peter & Tony -

I wasn't clear in my last message, but after Peter's 1st response I upgraded the system in question to SP1 . . . and the issue persisted.

It sounds as if I need to contact Tech Support.

Regards. Richard.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 19

Jump to solution

OK Richard. Yes I think that's the next logical step.

brookey13
Former Member
Message 10 of 19

Jump to solution

Hi I was just wondering if this problem got fixed as I am having the same problem and I have got to wait for a tier 2 call back.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community