cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jlzimmerman
Contributor
Message 1 of 3

Cannot Setup the Media Center 2005 Extender software. Firewall Message.

As many here have attempted, I cannot connect my PC (XP) to the Xbox360.  I don't have a problem finding the initial steps on the 360.  The problem is on the PC side.

When setting up the Extender, it:
- Successfully passed the Installing software message
- Successfully passed the settings messages
- Successfully past the 8 digit setup key which matches that on the 360.
- Proceeds with "Connecting to Media Center Extender" screen

The next part is where it fails, the Enable Fireway Ports message, which states, "A firewall has been detected: McAfee Personal Firewall.  Setup cannot configure the necessary firewall settings."  The Extender software will not install past this point.

I have ensured that the proper UDT and TCP ports are open and the proper programs have full access, as listed here:http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/extender/setup/firewall/mcafee.mspx

I cannot get the extender setup past this firewall message, even if I disable the firewall all together.  My Windows Media Player version is 11.0.5 and if I go into Configure Sharing > Media Sharing, the Xbox360 already is listed with a green check (allow access).

My PC is hard-wired to my Netgear WGT624 router and the Xbox is fed wirelessly.  I'm on XBL regularly and streaming videos from the marketplace for a couple years now so there aren't any xbox connectivity problems with this network setup.  My PC and the Xbox do have different IP addresses (the last digit).  I can ping the PC address but not the xbox IP. I can ping the gateway that's listed on the Xbox network settings.  I don't know if any of this is relevant or not.

What else can I do to get this working? Thanks.

Tags (2)
2 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 3

Re: Cannot Setup the Media Center 2005 Extender software. Firewall Message.

Will ask around though some suggest adding media centre to the exclusion list of the firewall.

Peacekeeper
Message 3 of 3

Re: Cannot Setup the Media Center 2005 Extender software. Firewall Message.

Tried trusting your local network?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community