Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Babuman
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Can't stop McAfee Framework Host

Hi,

I have a McAfee License for Unlimited Devices.  I installed McAfee LiveSafe edition on one of my new Virtual Machines running Windows 11.  The Installation was fine.  But after a while I was trying to install another Software (Syncfusion Essential Studio) and it refuses to proceed until I stop McAfee Framework Host.  I tried to stop the service as well end the task from the Task Manager, but both failed.  It simplay says access denied.  I am logged in as an Administrator.  I am the sole user of this virtual machine.  I have installed LiveSafe on other machines and successfully installed other software before.  So, I assume updating the McAfee software was the issue.

Anyway, this behavior is absolutely unacceptable. As the device owner and administrator, I will need to be able to control all my software installations.  Denying access to stop a service like a slap in the face.  A big NO! NO!  So, please let me know how I can suspend the subject service so that I can install my other highly required software.  And please respond ASAP.  My only other option right now is to totally uninstall McAfee and never install it back again.

11 Replies
Abhishek_Das
Message 2 of 12

Re: Can't stop McAfee Framework Host

Hi @Babuman,

Greetings from McAfee. 

We apologize for the inconvenience. 

Kindly click the link below to follow the steps in the McAfee article to manage firewall settings. 

KB TS101322

For additional assistance, you may also contact McAfee Support

Regards,
Abhi

Firewall 

Wobble
Contributor
Message 3 of 12

this was a useless answer.... it has nothing to do with the Firewall. Did you read the post?

It is to do with the McAfee Framework Host.

CraigSchmugar
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 12

Hi Babuman,

Sorry you're having trouble. I just tried to reproduce what you're describing by signing up for a Syncfusion Essential Studio trial. I was able to install the framework on a Win11 VM with a couple of their sub-products (WinUI, Windows Forms) without incident. However, on my 3rd attempt I was prompted to [Automatically close] or [Do not close] McAfee Framework Host. Trying both options yielded the same result. The sub-product was installed successfully.

As security products need to be resilient to malicious and adversarial attacks, McAfee Framework Host is a protected process (which is why you are unable to stop the service).

My suspicion is that there is a race condition where the installer is attempting to delete a file  that McAfee Framework Host has locked briefly and allowing the file to be freed (waiting a couple seconds when you see the prompt) allows the installer to continue.

If this is not your experience, try temporarily disabling Real-time scanning, performing the install, and re-enable real-time scanning.

Something else that I observed is that although the installer creates a shortcut on the desktop upon completion, the shortcut not functional without running it with elevated privileges. It simply terminates without a UAC prompt. However, Right-clicking on the Syncfusion Essential Studio Control Panel 23.1.36 shortcut and choosing Run As Administrator allows the app to launch successfully. You can also change the shortcut properties to run as admin.

RobertZed
Contributor II
Message 5 of 12

So you are essentially saying the mcafee software is a virus as it cannot be controlled/shut down by the user?

CraigSchmugar
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 12

Hello @RobertZed,

Overall, the software can be controlled/shut down by the user, but given that security products must be resilient to adversarial attacks, it's necessary to restrict access to certain components from outside user interfaces.

The operating system restricts access to certain OS components similarly.

RobertZed
Contributor II
Message 7 of 12

I do agree.  But when the software is blocking installation of another software package (update to a VPN application), there should be a mechanism where it can be shut down if needed using passwords, etc.  Its like saying I should brick up my doors rather than lock them even though I might need to receive a package because a malicious person might get into my house if I intentionally choose to unlock a door.   They can not get in through a brick wall. Having to delete the entire McAfee application to simply update another software package is really an odd way to operate.   Similarly, and as mentioned in another thread, the "commercials" being played in without any way to disable them is just another reason the McAfee is a disappointment.  For that trip, I was told to go to the information section of the settings and disable messages but shockingly the box to check in the information section was not present (the apply button was but without a box to modify the setting, nothing really to apply).   Now my PC is completely exposed to who knows what as I search for a less aggressive and more user friendly option.   I completely appreciate the need to offer protection but the reasonableness aspect or ability for a user to complete relatively benign tasks seems to be lost.

Pat123
Contributor
Message 8 of 12

I have the same problem.  Cannot turn it off on my personal PC even starting services as an administrator.  I really do not want the McAfee services that came (free for xx days) with my new Dell Laptop.  I want to permanently remove this service.  Too intrusive for me.  Can you help?  Thank you.

JohnnyBGoode
Contributor
Message 9 of 12

I have the same issue - some days it lets me update, others it doesn't.  I may have to cancel my subscription and choose an alternative virus protection provider if this continues...

JohnnyBGoode
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

McAfee technical support blamed the software application....all I can say is that I uninstalled McAfee and the problem went away.  I have disabled my auto-renew and will be moving to another Virus Protection provider at the end of my subscription if McAfee don't take ownership and resolve the issues with McAfee Framework Host by the time my subscription renews (which unfortunately - for me - is almost a year away)...

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community