Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeleanor
Former Member
Message 1 of 16

Can't open or uninstall McAfee on new Win8 VAIO

Jump to solution

Hi there

I've just bought a new Sony Vaio Pro 13 and it came with McAfee Internet Security and Parental Controls. Neither of the programs open correctly and I keep getting BSOD which I have attributed to McAfee after many google searches.

I wish to uninstall it completely but when I try and do this via the Control Panel, nothing at all happens for Internet Security and a small window with an IE error box opens when trying to uninstall Parental Controls.

I just did a live chat with McAfee support which was useless, they said I have to uninstall Intel Anti-Theft and then I will be able to uninstall with MCPR.exe. AFAIK this won't solve the problem as I still can't open or uninstall either program via the control panel first.

Please help, this is ridiculous. An expensive laptop rendered useless because I can't uninstall this piece of software which I do not want and isn't even installed properly so causes constant BSOD. I see other VAIO users have had similar issues trying to uninstall it and hope VAIO takes note that we don't want this stuff bundled.

Thanks in advance

jeleanor

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jeleanor
Former Member
Message 14 of 16

Re: Can't open or uninstall McAfee on new Win8 VAIO

Jump to solution

Hi there, yes thanks, I had a call back from higher level tech support again and they removed all trace of McAfee from my registry remotely. It seems to have done the trick - I ran MCPR and it finally worked (now Anti Theft has been removed) and I haven't had a BSOD yet..

It took a heck of a lot of research and back-and-forth with support but finally seems to have been sorted.

Still crazy that VAIO ship their brand new top-of-the-range laptops in this unusable state. Terrible McAfee product experience, good tech support experience. I have a very high general consumer technical knowledge (built my own PC, create custom WordPress websites etc.) and even I found this a massive challenge to sort out. God knows what my mum would've done. Taken the laptop back I guess.

View solution in original post

15 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 16

Jump to solution

You said you had McAfee Internet Security and Parental Controls installed but they mention Anti-Theft.  If that is installed I will move this to that section and have someone specilaized in that help you.  Can you confirm that Anti-Theft is onboard too?   Normal removal doesn't apply to Anti-Theft for obvious reasons.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 17/03/14 5:22:08 EDT PM
jeleanor
Former Member
Message 3 of 16

Jump to solution

Hi Peter, thanks for your reply.

Yes, Anti-Theft is also installed. However the more immediate problem seems to be that when trying to open Internet Security or Parental Controls, neither launches properly. It is impossible to uninstall either via the Control Panel, which I believe I need to do before I can use the MCPR.exe tool, which is then where Anti-Theft becomes a problem?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 16

Jump to solution

Moved to Anti-Theft just in case.

For the regular software you can skip the uninstall part and go straight to MCPR.  Make sure it's a freshly downloaded one from here:  http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe and then reboot.  It should remove everything except Anti-Theft.  If you have set up Parental Controls it will also ask for the Admin password used to set it up.

The only thing that happens if you skip the normal uninstall step is that the online account isn't decremented by 1 license.   But you can contact Customer Service to correct that if you need to.

If you want Anti-Theft removed that is a totally different story and I will have to ask for help.

jeleanor
Former Member
Message 5 of 16

Jump to solution

Thanks Peter.

Yes, it looks like I need to uninstall Anti-Theft, as MCPR won't run with it installed.

I tried to uninstall Anti-Theft via the Control Panel, and it appeared to work/disappeared from my programs list, but MCPR still says it's installed.

Further help would be great.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 16

Jump to solution

OK I will email my support contacts.  As I said before MCPR will not remove Anbti-Theft, it cant.   It should have removed the others though. I guess it's programmed to stop if it sees Anti-Theft as the removal could indicate that the laptop had been stolen so rightly it stops at that point. 

Anyway, standby, hopefully help is on the way.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 18/03/14 7:16:24 EDT AM
jeleanor
Former Member
Message 7 of 16

Jump to solution

Thanks Peter, I realy appreciate your amazingly speedy replies.

Unfortunately MCPR doesn't remove the others as when I try to run it, it says:

"Incomplete Uninstallation. This tool cannot run with McAfee Anti-Theft installed. Please contact Support for help."

...and everything is still installed.

I look forward to some further help.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 16

Jump to solution

Yes that's what I assumed - OK good luck 😉

jeleanor
Former Member
Message 9 of 16

Jump to solution

I have just been on the phone to McAfee/Intel Anti-Theft support. They have arranged to escalate it to a higher level with a call-back tomorrow, as it doesn't appear that Anti-Theft is installed/enrolled, but the MCPR tool still says it is.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 16

Jump to solution

So hopefully it will be sorted out tomorrow.   All the best 😉

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community