cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cindy
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

Can't download or install Total Protection on Windows 7

I purchased Total Protection and have been trying to download and install it for over 4 hours now.  It doesn't work.  I have Windows 7.   I have deleted the previous version, ran the Product removal tool and the preinstall tool.  Nothing helps.  Ideas?

7 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 8

Re: Can't download or install Total Protection on Windows 7

No other AV software previously installed?

Try uninstalling using the MCPR tool in the useful links tab above( ok you tried 1 time but needed again in case part installed) and then reset Internet Explorer and retry an install.

arunkn1
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

Please post some more details

1)what happens when you try to downoad McAfee

2}the exact error message

3)your connection type.

Will reply back after you post the details

Cindy
Former Member
Message 4 of 8

Did it again.  Still nothing.

Cindy
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

It goes to the screen letting me pick download or run.  I have tried both.  Then that screen goes away and I am looking at the previous one that contains the download button and the install instructions.  That is where it stops.  No errors are reported.  It just doesn't go any further.  I don't get the question  "Do you want to run this software".  I have DSL.

If I chose to save at that first window, it will copy the DMSetup.exe which is 2.9k in size. When I try to use that, nothing at all happens.

Any ideas?

Dinz
Former Member
Message 6 of 8

Hi Cindy,

Please do the following steps before installing McAfee products.

Check and delete if you find any other security software files or folders in C:/program files & common files.
Click start - run and type - regsvr32 jscript.dll & click ok , regsvr32 vbscript.dll & click ok
Try installing mcafee products again , When it prompts to run or save the file , click run and continue with the installation.

Along with your next post please let us know what is the type of your internet connection  (wireless/wired) ?

Regards,

Dinesh K

Cindy
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

This didn't work.  I was able to install it on a new laptop (wireless) that I just bought.  I still can't get it to install on my desktop.  The desktop is wired to the switch which is connected to the dsl modem.  I tried turning off my firewall tonight and that didn't help.  The vb script command ran but the jscript command didn't.  It said the jscrpit was loaded but the call to the server failed with an error code of 0x80004005.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 8 of 8

Cindy,

Please try to restart the computer and start tapping the F8 key.

From the advanced boot options menu, select safe mode with networking and hit enter.

Run the Mcpreinstall tool from this linkand try installing again.

Please report back if you get any specific error. If possible, attach a screen shot of the same

Thanks,

Dinesh K

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community