cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gtmorelli
Former Member
Message 1 of 14

Can't Install McAfee VirusScan Plus

When downloading and running software that I recently uninstalled to clean my PC from some malware, I received the following message "we couldn't install any of the security features included with your software".  I was then presented two options - try installing again or run McAfee Virtual Technician.  I ran the Virtual Technician which gave me the following message "Did not find any product to can scan.  Do you need to install?"  I clicked Yes and a Pre-Install Check ran with the following errors identified: DNS Cache, temporary Internet files, McAfee cookies, and temporary folders.  I clicked on Fix All and the Virtual Technician Cleared them all.  I then went back to install the VirusScan Plus software and I got the same errors and messages all over again.  I seem to be in a loop.  Can someone help me?  Thanks!

13 Replies
MRoutt
Former Member
Message 2 of 14

Re: Can't Install McAfee VirusScan Plus

gtmorelli,

Try the following from a command prompt:

1. ipconfig /flushdns (clears out your dns cache, before hand and afterwards you may wish to run ipconfig /displaydns)
  2. cd "documents and settings\%username%\local settings\temp" (where username is the name you use to log in to the computer)  -> del *.*, and rd /s *. (this should clear out anything in your temp folder)
  3. cd "documents and settings\%username%\cookies" (again, where username is the name you use  to log in to the computer) -> del *.txt (deletes any cookies you may have)
  4. run cleanmgr.exe (this will bring up the disk cleanup wizard, you will want to have it clear out your temp internet files)

If you are on Windows Vista or Windows 7 replace "documents and settings" with "users", and make sure to right click on command prompt and select "run as administrator" for best results.  A lot of this should have been done by virtual technician, what I am  trying to see is if we have better luck trying it manually.

HTH

Dinz
Former Member
Message 3 of 14

Hi gtmorelli,

Also make sure that the installation is doesnt have any comnflicts due to any other security software,

1.Check and delete if you have any other software or its remnant in C:/program files & common files.

2. Run Mcpreinstall tool from http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/McPreInstall.exe and try installing again . 

Regards,

Dinesh K

gtmorelli
Former Member
Message 4 of 14

Thanks HTH:

I was able to execute your first and last suggestions (numbers 1 and 4), but not 2 and 3.   When I type those commnads in the Run command they are not recognized.  I was typing it exactly as shown in your post, including cd and the ".  Not sure what I am doing wrong.

gt

gtmorelli
Former Member
Message 5 of 14

Thanks Dinesh:

The only security software that is active on my machine (that I know of and/or can find) is the Windows Security Essentials.  The Firewall and Automatic Updates are on.  Should I turn them off?

gt

MRoutt
Former Member
Message 6 of 14

When typing the commands drop the quotation marks that I put around them.

gtmorelli
Former Member
Message 7 of 14

It says it can't find cd.  When I skip cd it says it can't find documents

MRoutt
Former Member
Message 8 of 14

numbers 2 and 3 were meant to be run from the command prompt.  Do start -> run -> cmd before attempting them.

gtmorelli
Former Member
Message 9 of 14

OK thats helpful.  I'm new at this and don't want to screw anything up, so I have some basic questions before I proceed.  I typed in cmd in the Run command and get to the black windows screen which contains the following prompt:

C: \Documents and Settings\"my user name">

so do I type in what you put in quotes after the > or just the part in quotes after %username%

thanks for your patience...

MRoutt
Former Member
Message 10 of 14

actually no need to put in documents and settings\%username%, its already there...so for #2: cd local settings\temp (del *.*, rd *., rd *. may not work in all cases, if it doesnt for you do a dir /a /o to see what directories are there then do rd /s /q followed by the names of the directories in one long string (e.g. dir1 dir2 ...))...for #3: cd .. followed by cd ..\cookies (del *.txt)

Message was edited by: MRoutt on 2/12/10 9:46:40 PM CST
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community